VC Encore 2040 catalyst under warranty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech_mate

Feb 7, 2013
Huntersville NC
I was planning on replacing my catalyst for my Encore and noticed a note on a website that sells their own after market catalyst.

"The "thin" one-inch thick combustors for "Two-in-One" catalytic/non-catalytic Encore and Defiant models are still under the original manufacturer's warranty."

Has anyone had any luck getting a new one under warranty or had problems with their existing one?

Yea mine cracked @ the 2 year mark. Free replacement took about 2 weeks.

Great just what i needed to hear. I wish they contacted the owners rather than me stumbling upon it before spending $180+

Slightly different..there were some little metal tabs on my original catalyst on the border (I never really knew what they were for), and the new one didn't come with those tabs. Seemed like there was a slight change in the way the overall metal border surrounded the catalyst material by like a few mm. Otherwise seemed almost 100% similar. I can't see these minor changes being a big factor in how it performs but i don't know.

I am hoping mine failed after two years due to burning not the most seasoned wood the first year, marginal wood the second year, but now I have seasoned wood through and through this year and for the next year.

I personally also over fired the stove twice to the max griddle temp and the refractory glowing. I am not sure but I suspect my wife has done the same a couple times as well she just doesn't realize it or wasn't aware of it. We have changed over to a strict timer policy for the stove. Any time we reload we set 10-15 minute timers so as not to forget to check on the stove.

My encore takes off like a race horse with the damper open during reloads and leaving that open for 30+ minutes is a disaster that probably cooked my catalyst and then with some damp wood caused rapid temperature changes...maybe. We will see how the new catalyst maintains this winter and into next.

Here's the problem with mine.

image22.jpeg

image24.jpeg

image23.jpeg

yep mine did the same thing. was still working but the longer it went the more cracked it got, and more and more little bits started to drop out.

So, this cat was in use two seasons? It does not look overfired.

Another issue I had last year with this stove was that the refractory access cover cracked. Luckily it was under warranty & supposedly the replacement is made of a stronger material.

Anyone else have this issue?

Other than these two issues I'm very happy with this stove. Last one was a Fisher.

Refractoryaccesscoveronencore2040.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.