VC Encore 2550 Service Manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

downeast

For rebuilding a VC Encore 2550 when Spring comes :wow: , I'm looking for an online Service Manual.
There is a link here to a Service Manual for the earlier Encore with the cat access panel in the rear of the stove.
Later Encores Model 2550--1990's into 2000's -- have the cat access behind the fireback.
The refractory cat box ( no jokes here please :roll: ) tends to disintegrate after years of normal 24/7 use. Our's is 7.
How do other cat stoves, such as Woodstock, shield their cats ?
Thx.

Done. Big changes at CFM Majestic : after some tel. arm twisting with a second rep ( 1.800.668.5323 )---"...Service Manuals are for dealers only...", he sent the pdf file for the Service Manual. Maybe the teachers' union ownership has some effect on the company ! Not to be shared however--legal stuff. So, for those wanting to do repairs, parts replacement, or a complete rebuild, the manual is very well done in a non-technical, simple way. For example, replacing the air control cable is a tricky, complex threading procedure. The instructions, tips, tool lists, and bills of materials are excellent; wish I had them before doing a rebuild on another earlier Encore.

I can't understand why CFM is so hesitant to provide service manuals and why they would want to restrict their distribution. What harm could possibly come from providing guidance on the proper servicing or rebuilding of a stove? Is it a liability issue, or are they afraid of stepping on the toes of those dealers that offer rebuilding services? Our local VC dealer does not do rebuilds, had I not been lucky enough to get my hands on the service manual my encore 0028 would have been retired years ago.

One of the top local dealers stopped doing rebuilds. They told me it's hard to make any money doing them. Most folks aren't going to pay a day's labor for a stove they bought 15 years ago and is now worth say $200-500.

redhat said:
I can't understand why CFM is so hesitant to provide service manuals and why they would want to restrict their distribution. What harm could possibly come from providing guidance on the proper servicing or rebuilding of a stove? Is it a liability issue, or are they afraid of stepping on the toes of those dealers that offer rebuilding services? Our local VC dealer does not do rebuilds, had I not been lucky enough to get my hands on the service manual my encore 0028 would have been retired years ago.

Interesting questions. Don't know the answer, and the all manufacturers have a similar policy. Most dealers now outsource rebuilding, many do the same for installations. Rebuilding is a labor intensive, fussy PITA :bug: especially if you're doing it once and for the first time. Cast iron plates and joints deform needing serious grinding, bolts break, new parts don't fit exactly, and on and on. You need time and drinks for a one time first time rebuild. My first rebuild was a 1977 ;-) Morso 2BO , a beauty no longer made. Then a 1984 VC Vigilant, then.............You need to want to do it not only to save $$$$, but skinned knuckles, many bad words, frustration, vengeful anger at frozen bolts, trips to the hardware store for bits, and more. But what satisfaction!

There are few professionals around that will do rebuilding anymore. Know any for reference ?

Morso used to and still may use rope gasketing in fitted grooves between cast plates --making rebuilds simple. It is also a big advantage of steel construction.

Most of the newer generation cast iron stoves are going with the gasket rope between seams in lieu of furnace cement. How hard is it to get factory service manuals for a car? The only thing I've ever found for my truck was the Haynes which is ok but is nothing when compared to the actual Lincoln Service manual that I have for my Lincoln. I never was stingy with them I had all the technical manuals for almost all VC products. No longer have access to them but I used to photocopy them for guys like you that wanted to rebuild or replace a part or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.