VC Encore Burn Time Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Just got an 8 hour burn. Stove top is still over 300°. This was from a cold start at 4:30 this afternoon and I didn't even pack it full. I haven't even touched the stove since 5:30. If I had two more stoves that worked like this I'd have a lot more free time on my hands.

Definitely leaning towards locating a nice used Catalytic Defiant at this point to replace the Vigilant.

Sole reason the houses second stove is going to be CAT equiped.

So far, it's met my expectations. It is the easiest stove to get going of the four that I have used.

300 stove top after 8 hours sounds great and I'm sure you will fine tune it for even better results. Maybe you could cut down to two stoves if you found that big Defiant?

Buddies have an encore, not sure if its a cat or neverburn...how to tell?

Todd said:
300 stove top after 8 hours sounds great and I'm sure you will fine tune it for even better results. Maybe you could cut down to two stoves if you found that big Defiant?

I think I should be able to get 10 hours during the shoulder season if I keep messing with it. Not bad for a stove that is 15-20 years old.

Still having problems locking in at lower temps. I though I had it last night, but when I checked the chimney I had smoke, so I had to readjust to a higher temp.

Will I ever be able to do only two stoves? Probably not. This 'L' shaped layout is tough to circulate heat. During shoulder season and mild winter days, two stoves will do the job, but January and February weather will require a third stove.

The Vigilant will definitely be used less this year and the added capacity of the Encore is allowing the Heritage to heat up it's area more quickly as well.

Stump_Branch said:

I'm really not sure. I've always ignored the Everburns due to so many reported issues. I've never actually taken a close look at them to see the difference between the two versions.

Well i imagine i would have seen a cat, glowing or otherwise. But it sounds just by looking at them they appear similar....hmm have to look.

Stump_Branch said:
Well i imagine i would have seen a cat, glowing or otherwise. But it sounds just by looking at them they appear similar....hmm have to look.

Actually, you wouldn't since the cats on VC stoves, new or old, are hidden behind the back panel of the firebox. I believe the Everburn is designed the same way except they have something called a 'fountain' instead of the catalyst and assemble. It looks like a cat assembly except slightly altered. This is why the new 2-in-1 stove can operate as an either/or. You remove the catalyst from the stove and it allows the stove to burn in Everburn mode.

Stump_Branch said:

The everburn will have a visible "hole" fountain or dog house (as some call it) at the bottom of the fireback. The cat stove will have a rectangular (1"x16") opening about half way up the fire back (some newer encore cat stoves will have a hood covering this opening).

BrowningBAR said:
Just got an 8 hour burn. Stove top is still over 300°. This was from a cold start at 4:30 this afternoon and I didn't even pack it full. I haven't even touched the stove since 5:30. If I had two more stoves that worked like this I'd have a lot more free time on my hands.

Definitely leaning towards locating a nice used Catalytic Defiant at this point to replace the Vigilant.

You should get 8hrs with this stove in Jan (using quality wood). Don't forget shoulder season is funny this way....the sun still has some strength to it and the temps are still decent! For example, I just went to see the stove to get it prepped for the afternoon relight (cold start) was about to put paper in it......good thing I stirred the ash (bunch of red coals hidden in the ash!!). Ash at the bottom of your tray will be your friend with this stove.....

Diabel said:
BrowningBAR said:

You should get 8hrs with this stove in Jan (using quality wood). Don't forget shoulder season is funny this way....the sun still has some strength to it and the temps are still decent! For example, I just went to see the stove to get it prepped for the afternoon relight (cold start) was about to put paper in it......good thing I stirred the ash (bunch of red coals hidden in the ash!!). Ash at the bottom of your tray will be your friend with this stove.....

That's what I'm hoping for. Last year with three stoves that really didn't provide overnight burns was a pain chasing out the cold on winter mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.