VC Encore, can't adequately control heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian

Dec 26, 2010
PA
I have a 1.5 yr old Vermont Casting Encore catalytic and can't get it to burn below 550. I have an 8 inch SS liner installed in my chimney (28 feet to top) and have recently added a damper (VC advise) with no effect. I've checked all of the seals for leaks and the doors and ash pan are tight. With the stove air vent closed, the liner damper closed and the catalytic on, it consistently burns at 550. I need to fill the box every 3 hours and it would be great to be able to turn it down so I can burn the stove for longer periods. Any thoughts and thank you in advance for you responses?
Adrian

adrian said:
I have a 1.5 yr old Vermont Casting Encore catalytic and can't get it to burn below 550. I have an 8 inch SS liner installed in my chimney (28 feet to top) and have recently added a damper (VC advise) with no effect. I've checked all of the seals for leaks and the doors and ash pan are tight. With the stove air vent closed, the liner damper closed and the catalytic on, it consistently burns at 550. I need to fill the box every 3 hours and it would be great to be able to turn it down so I can burn the stove for longer periods. Any thoughts and thank you in advance for you responses?
Adrian

I would suspect your fuel first. After that double-check the seals on the back and bottom plates. Remove all the interior parts and packe all seams by hand with black furnace cement. Put all the parts back, making sure to cement the upper fireback to the stove top.

Do a draft test. Maybe it is still too strong.

Do you have a stove tech nearby? If not, you can download the repair manual for that stove and give it a go yourself. If you bought it from a dealer they should be offering to help you figure it out. The warranty is three years on that model.

Sean

Adrian, I agree that your fuel may be the culprate. Frankly, 550 stovetop is totally reasonable but a full firebox on a stove that size at that temp should go WAY longer than 3 hours dude. I must respectfully disagree with regard to repacking internal parts. Encore is a complex unit, and if this were your first time, ya' might do more harm, PLUS wouldn't your retailer be a good resource at this time? Get THEM to help out. I've been fixing V.C. products since before there was an Encore and they remind me of like a Jguar or some fancy sports car or something. When everything is finely tuned, there's nothing better in this world but when one small problem arises, it can just make your life a living hell. Get an expert to sniff around. It may be as simple as yhe fuel- or not. Good luck.

Welcome Adrian!

adrian said:
With the stove air vent closed, the liner damper closed and the catalytic on, it consistently burns at 550.
Adrian

Doesn't this indicate that either his flue damper is defective, or not really closed? Wouldn't it be impossible for any stove to perform this way with a closed flue?

Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the configuration?

RenovationGeorge said:
Welcome Adrian!

adrian said:
With the stove air vent closed, the liner damper closed and the catalytic on, it consistently burns at 550.
Adrian

Doesn't this indicate that either his flue damper is defective, or not really closed? Wouldn't it be impossible for any stove to perform this way with a closed flue?

Well, there are a lot of possible variables. But, the two controls mentioned do not really close the air passages completely. Possibly strong draft, air leaks, or fuel that is dry but rotten, or some other weird anomaly.

Sean

RenovationGeorge said:
Doesn't this indicate that either his flue damper is defective, or not really closed?
Flue dampers are never a perfect fit. They are not only undersized to the flue but they also have a big hole in the middle.

I don't know how the zipper air is fed to the VC Encore but some people have reduced the volume of zipper air on some stoves by placing magnets over the openings. I've had to tame the zipper air on my last two stoves.

RenovationGeorge said:
Welcome Adrian!

adrian said:
Adrian

A key damper can never close off the pipe completely. There are holes in the damper to allow some smoke to pass, and this is a good thing. If you could completely close off the flue you would have a hazardous situation develop quite quickly.

BeGreen said:
RenovationGeorge said:
Welcome Adrian!

adrian said:
Adrian

A key damper can never close off the pipe completely. There are holes in the damper to allow some smoke to pass, and this is a good thing. If you could completely close off the flue you would have a hazardous situation develop quite quickly.

By "hazardous situation", do you mean a firebox and chimney full of explosive, unburned gas?

Thanks BeGreen and LLigetfa for taking the time to edjumuncate me.

The more I learn the more I know how much I don't know. :)

Youre not alone Adrian, I wish I could get my encore to run consistantly at 550. Thats what you should be shooting for. Many encore owners run much hotter. The relaoding every 3 hours is a problem as someone before me said. Try burning the coals down, rake them to the front, then load with big, thick, fat splits. They should take longer to burn through. Also search this site for others with similar problems, you should get a few. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.