VC encore cat 2550 air leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-PB-

Feb 28, 2010
MD via Philly
I have been having issues with my VC encore cat 2550 running hot (650-675) with the cat engaged and primary air all the way closed. I have been told it shouldn't be running this hot with the air shut down all the way and i probably have an air leak. So, I have been looking for leaks... dollar bill test on all gaskets is good. I replaced them a few months ago. I used a smoking insense stick to find leaks and came up with two areas I'm not sure are normal or OK. The first area is a hole on the bottom of the stove near the handle for the ash pan. I have heard of people plugging up this hole before. Can I, or should I, plug that hole?
The next air leak is at the door to the primary air in the back. When the primary air is shut down all the way I am still getting a decent amount of smoke from the insense stick rushing right in the door in the back. Does that not close all the way? Is that something I can adjust?
These are the only two areas I can find air getting in. I don't know why else it would be running so hot. I'm burning oak and hickory with mc between 15 and 20% and have a 25 ft stainless steel chimney liner.
Anyone else ever have these problems?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.