VC Encore damper gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
My stove continues to run HOT...I fear that I am now damaging a new Catalytic Converter. I ordered a full gasket set and will re-do the entire stove. However, the damper is a difficult one to do. If I remove the top of the stove, it would be easier.
Is the top cemented on? Is it possible to DIY?

You DEFINITELY don't wanna pull the top of your encore UNLESS you're gonna go thru an entire rehab/rebuild.
The top IS cemented to the front, rear & sides & there are (4) 1/4-20 tie-rods securing the top to the bottom plates...
You probably are going to break the tie-rods when you try to remove the hex nuts at the bottom...
It's been awhile since I tore one of these critters down, but I believe there are only 2 bolts holding the damper assembly
in there. The probelm is, that I don't remember what else hasta come outta there first...
I do know that you CAN replace the damper gasket without rebuilding the whole damn thing, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.