VC Encore noncat can't keep glass clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I can't for the life of me keep my glass clean when I close the bypass. My wood is pretty dry (enough to start small splits with just newspaper). I get a horrid black buildup with the bypass closed whether I leave the air full open or not.

Anyone with this stove having better luck (and yes, I already know everyone hates it in general).

Wood would be the first suspect....but if you say it is dry then I would say you are reducing air too fast.

Yes - wood is the first thing to check - try buying a package of split wood from the store and see if you still get the dirty glass. If so, not the wood. Also - draft is often sluggish this time of year, and it might take quite a bit longer to get your fire, stove, chimney, etc. up to good temperature. This can lead to dirtier glass than you will experience during colder winter months when the draft is strong. Good luck! Cheers!

On that wood from the store, I've seen green wood for sale many times at stores so I no longer advise that.

On the dirty glass, we sometimes will also get dirty glass when we just have a small fire even though we know what our wood is and how long it has seasoned (a long time). But once we have a good longer fire going it cleans off by itself. If not, then a damp crumbled newspaper dipped in cold ashes will clean that black glass like magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.