VC encore question w/pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-PB-

Feb 28, 2010
MD via Philly
This pic is of the left side of my encore2550. Can anyone tell me what the hole directly in the middle of the screen is for. It is on the molded cast iron part that runs at a 45 degree angle from the back to the front. The hole is threaded, empty, and points directly upward. The stove is not running so I can't wave the incense stick to leak test it yet.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• encore2.jpg
    encore2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 378
Combustion air if I remember from the old Encores. Lets the stove breath when the primary and bypass are shut down all the way. Thats my guess based on 20 year old memories.

These are not the "epa" holes commonly asked about closer to the ash pan. These holes are threaded and on both sides. I'm hoping they should have screws or bolts in them to close them and they are the source of my leak.

+1 to Frank.

I just checked my old 2550 that is in pieces. It has the same holes. On my 0028 I plugged them due to some air leaks....that will be addressed come summer.

thanks... when I plug the holes my glass gets very dirty. I'm having trouble finding the happy medium concerning my draft.

I bought it off of e-bay 3 years ago. Discontinued color, country cookware gray.

Paul,

I sent you a PM, but I figure it's worth mentioning in the thread.

MHSC tech has confirmed those are the "EPA" holes. They connect directly to the air manifold.

I've stressed the fact to them that you've done several smoke tests on this stove with no leak findings. They are convinced it's a draft issue at this point.

Thanks Jay,
A very quick reponse by Clarks Ace Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.