VC Encore w/cat Primary Air Cable Broke - how to fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimxj2000

Aug 14, 2008
SE NH
Yesterday the stove just stopped working. Just didn't want to burn. Crack the front door open and it starts fine. Shut the door and it just smolders, not hot enough to engage the cat.

I did some investigating tonight and found the primary air door close, moving the handle does nothing to the door. Also there is a different noise when moving the handle. I think the cable has broken in the stove. I held the air door open for a few minutes and the fire started up fine.

Do I need to take the stove part to fix this? Anyway to replace the cable using a fish tape?

Thanks

If I recall correctly, you can fish the cable through, but it isn't easy. The simplest way is to attach a pull string to one end of the broken cable and pulll it through from the other end. If you can get one of those magnetic pickup tools with a bendable shaft, that can be useful in retrieving the broken end.

You will need to remove the thermostat cover inside the stove, along with the handle and spring. You will need to replace the entire spring / shaft / cable assembly, which installs in the thermostat housing, and run the cable down to the door where it clamps - there is an adjustment process to set the cable length, but I'm not sure just what it is.

(BTW, I moved this question on stove repair to the Hearth room)

Gooserider

What model Defiant Encore? If it is a 0028 or 2140 you can download the service manual from the wiki site here, it will provide you detailed instructions on how to replace the cable.

If by chance you have the Defiant Encore 2550 model, I have a copy of that service manual that I could send you--though I would imagine the repair for the primary air cable is pretty similar for all the models.

NP

I suspect there would be a lot of people interested in the 2550 service manual (myself included) - if you have it as a PDF or other electronic document, would you consider sending a copy to Craig so that he can put it in the wiki so that everyone can access it?

Gooserider

Yes I have always been concerned what it might be like to repair if the cable broke. Good luck on your repair.

I for one would be interested in the repair manual.

I tried to post the Encore 2550 Service Manual here as an attachment, but it's too big. I'll email Craig to see if he can put in in the Wiki. IN the meantime, if anyone needs it, PM me, and I'll email you a copy.

NP

Update - Fixed.

Well it takes a couple weeks to get parts.

Thanks for the service manual - it would have been much harder without it.

It is easy to use an electrical fish tape to pull the cable through the stove - however tie off the end of the cable to some string. I had to fish it through three time. Some string on both ends is helpful. The air door assembly is a pain to get back into place. Follow the directions in the manual, line by line, for resetting the air door. I didn't the first time and it didn't work. I gave up and came back a day later after re-reading the directions. The cable may feel tight even when it isn't. You need to be able to reach the thermostat and the air door at the same time and feel them moving back and forth with each other. I also stuck the vacuum hose into as much of the stove as I could reach - lots of dust and other stuff between the panels. Stove is running hotter now.

The air control handle is much easier to move with the stove hot. I thought it broke the cable it was so easy to move and had to crawl behind the stove to see it was still working.

Wife is happy too. Using the oil heat to 68-70 made the house seem very cold. We are up to a nice 82 now.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.