VC Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I'm looking to replace/upgrade my stove. I found a VC Encore 2550 listed for $650. Sounds like a great deal. Are there any specific issues with this stove I should be aware of prior to looking at it? The owner just moved into the home and wants to remove this existing stove. So, history on the stove is going to be impossible to attain. It has an 8" flue collar, but if I understand correctly a 6" is available. Is this correct? I would appreciate any info users could share about these stoves.

The website mentions an automatic thermostat, is this draft control like in a Blaze King or does it just control a blower?

I used one in a rental house for a year and loved it. The thermostatic air control was really a nice feature. It held a fire well overnight, burned clean, and heated well. I don't think you can beat top-loading and the ash pan was a dream to use; well designed. Its also a great looking stove.

On the flip side, I didn't use that stove long enough to know how well it held up or how hard it was to fix. From what I've read here it does have some service issues and Vermont Castings, as a company, has undergone some changes that many report as unfavorable.

bjorn773 said:
The website mentions an automatic thermostat, is this draft control like in a Blaze King or does it just control a blower?

I believe they're referring to the bimetal coil that is attached to the air control lever and controls inlet airflow based on stove temp.

If that $650 unit is a CAT version, you can view the combustor by removing the exhaust hood on top of the lower fireback.
Combustors are over $200. Then, remove the lower fireback by removing 2 cast wedges and the fireback is removed to
see the secondary combustion box (fragile white fuzzy materiel) .In an abused or worn 2550 this refractory box may be incomplete
or burnt open in places and the "fire-back kit #5927" is expensive according to posters here (I don't know price because I haven't needed one).
Some say that after 5 years of 24 X7 burning these need to be rebuilt every 5 years or so. Regular maintenance is a must.
This 2550 reduced our wood usage by a third. It has never been able to regulate its temperature by way of the bi-metal thermostatic coil on the primary control handle (which operates the pri. intake valve via a cable).

Gark said:
If that $650 unit is a CAT version, you can view the combustor by removing the exhaust hood on top of the lower fireback.
Combustors are over $200. Then, remove the lower fireback by removing 2 cast wedges and the fireback is removed to
see the secondary combustion box (fragile white fuzzy materiel) .In an abused or worn 2550 this refractory box may be incomplete
or burnt open in places and the "fire-back kit #5927" is expensive according to posters here (I don't know price because I haven't needed one).
Some say that after 5 years of 24 X7 burning these need to be rebuilt every 5 years or so. Regular maintenance is a must.
This 2550 reduced our wood usage by a third. It has never been able to regulate its temperature by way of the bi-metal thermostatic coil on the primary control handle (which operates the pri. intake valve via a cable).

Thanks, I'm on the fence about going to look at it. It's over 100 miles each way just to go view it. The price sounds good, unless it needs the above mentioned parts. I don't know how they would feel about me taking it apart either. But, it sounds like that's the only way I'll know what exactly I'm buying.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
action-smiley-060.gif

The both of you !!!

happy0198.gif

LMAO, sorry... I posted this in the Ashcan, I have no idea why it is here.

Gonna go clean my monitor screen :lol:

We just sold our Defiant-Encore 2550. Like others have said, it does have some nice features. At 1.3 grams per hour, it remains one of the most efficient woodstoves out there. The top loading is nice, as is the ash drawer and grate for ease of ash removal. It also lights easily, especially if you crack open the ash drawer door (but don't forget to close it!!). We never really felt like the thermostatic control worked all that well, it certainly wasn't the "set it and forget it" like the brochures claimed. They are a gorgeous stove, and because of the andirons and the height of the firebox they'll take a pretty nice load of wood for the night. Still, we never were really able to get an 8 hour burn (6-6.5 hours more like it....) and come morning between the grate/ash drawer and the fact that there's no firebrick inside the stove to insulate the firebox, we rarely, if ever, had enough coals left to re-start without re-lighting too.

The D/E 2550 also seemed very finicky--I felt like we had to constantly monitor and control it to keep it from over-firing. If we weren't careful and actively monitoring the stove all the time, it would get up to 800 degrees no problem. Over the long haul, that's not good for the stove. Also, as others have said the replacement parts aren't cheap, and, these stoves seem to need somewhat constant maintenance. We got ours for cheap from a family friend, and then replaced the lower fireback, andirons, door and griddle gaskets, and the combustor. Just those items cost us $400 in parts, and had we needed to replace anything else we could have easily spent another $400.

So, if you're thinking about buying it I'd do what others have said. Check the combustor to see if there are any cracks or missing pieces. Pop the two wedges out and remove the lower fireback and get a good look at the refractory box. If it's badly deteriorated, it will need to be replaced and last time we checked they were going for $375. Check where the bypass damper closes up against the upper fireback and make sure that neither piece is warped. If they are, they'll likely need replacement. If it's in good condition, I'd say $650 is a good price. Lastly, the general consensus seems to be that the pre-1994 Defiant/Encores were the best quality, as the mid-late 90's models seemed to have quality control problems.

In the end, we just decided that it was too finicky and too expensive to maintain. They are gorgeous stoves, but we use a stove as a heater, not a piece of furniture. We like our steel Earthstove, simple, robust, efficient, and easy to use and maintain.

Good luck!

NP

Nonprophet said:
In the end, we just decided that it was too finicky and too expensive to maintain.

+1. Also, there is no comparison between the Encore and the BK thermostats.

SolarAndWood said:
Nonprophet said:
In the end, we just decided that it was too finicky and too expensive to maintain.

Plus the appearance of course :)

Diabel said:
SolarAndWood said:
Nonprophet said:

Plus the appearance of course :)

Indeed. I also forgot my disclaimer that there are many here who have had good luck with Encore cats and when they are working properly they burn very well.

I have heard some bad issues with VC service and quality. With that being said, I must have lucked out. My Encore cat has been great. I burn around 3-4 cord a year. 24/7 when cold and fall and spring only when needed. I have replaced the cat once and the top gasket once. I have had the stove around 7 years. Great stove. I load it with good oak and get 8-10 hours easy. Easy to regulate the burn too.

If I was going to buy a new stove I would look at the Jotul or soapstone stoves. I wasnt impressed with the ash pan of a soapstone stove I saw at a dealer a while back but that has been a while ago.

Heck if I could I would move to a house that was setup for two stoves. Or one woodstove and a wood burning cookstove. I have always liked those.

Good luck.

bjorn773 said:
I'm looking to replace/upgrade my stove. I found a VC Encore 2550 listed for $650. Sounds like a great deal. Are there any specific issues with this stove I should be aware of prior to looking at it? The owner just moved into the home and wants to remove this existing stove. So, history on the stove is going to be impossible to attain. It has an 8" flue collar, but if I understand correctly a 6" is available. Is this correct? I would appreciate any info users could share about these stoves.

You need to find out if the Catalytic box and assembly need to be replaced. If it does you are looking at an additional expense of about $700 in parts for that stove. That would bring you to $1300-$1400.

flhpi said:
I have heard some bad issues with VC service and quality. With that being said, I must have lucked out. My Encore cat has been great. I burn around 3-4 cord a year. 24/7 when cold and fall and spring only when needed. I have replaced the cat once and the top gasket once. I have had the stove around 7 years. Great stove. I load it with good oak and get 8-10 hours easy. Easy to regulate the burn too.

If I was going to buy a new stove I would look at the Jotul or soapstone stoves. I wasnt impressed with the ash pan of a soapstone stove I saw at a dealer a while back but that has been a while ago.

Heck if I could I would move to a house that was setup for two stoves. Or one woodstove and a wood burning cookstove. I have always liked those.

Good luck.

You'll probably never be happy with the ashpan in another stove after using the Encore. I found that design to be the best I've seen yet.

I've found the ash pans on most stoves wanting after using the Encore and various Jotuls. I was considering a Hearthstone when I bought my Oslo and the ashpan system on the Hearthstones was a strike against it.

flhpi said:

Good luck.

I don't think you are alone. If we had only burned 3-4 cord/yr and had a backup/supplemental source of heat, I think we would have had similar results. Pushing it hard and relying on it for 100% of our heat is where we ran into trouble.

Semipro said:
You'll probably never be happy with the ashpan in another stove after using the Encore. I found that design to be the best I've seen yet.

I've found the ash pans on most stoves wanting after using the Encore and various Jotuls. I was considering a Hearthstone when I bought my Oslo and the ashpan system on the Hearthstones was a strike against it.

I am very happy with the ash pan in the pedestal on the BK ultra. There is kind of a floor drain in the middle of the firebox maybe 2 inches by 2 inches that makes a super seal. You grab the little hook on top of it to remove it and push the ash into a bucket that is probably half the size of the ash bucket outside. I always liked the ash pan on the Encore, but this is just as effective and I don't worry about the reliability of the seal.

Other than all the comments you have already received, the only other thing to consider is the flue size of 8". If this is your first stove purchase and you plan on running a chimney liner this stove requires 8" vs if you decide to sooner or later replace this stove most of the newer EPA stoves require a 6" flue. Some stoves with 8" stove collars can be reduced to 6" but draft may be affected.

Shari

Shari said:
Other than all the comments you have already received, the only other thing to consider is the flue size of 8". If this is your first stove purchase and you plan on running a chimney liner this stove requires 8" vs if you decide to sooner or later replace this stove most of the newer EPA stoves require a 6" flue. Some stoves with 8" stove collars can be reduced to 6" but draft may be affected.

Shari

I believe a 6" outlet is available for this stove. It won't be cheap though

I'm passing on this one. Too many potential issues. I have a 6 inch flue now, so I'd have to buy the adapter. The idea of having to pull the stove apart just to inspect all these potential issues does not excite me. So, let someone else have the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.