VC flue collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gap between the flue collar and adapter pipe. I have searched the forums a bit and not really found a clear answer.

What is the best way to seal this gap? Gasket material, cement, both. Any particular brands?

Also this gap would be taking away from my total draft, right?

Forgot to mention its a VC Defiant 1610.

Derek

I use both...stuff gasket below the collar height, then top it with cement. Let it cure for at least 12hrs.

It works!

Basically you leave the adapter installed, remove the screws, stuff gasket material between, then finish off with cement, install screws?

What about the draft. Will it effect my draft once sealed up?

Thanks....

Yes, it will affect your draft...in a positive way!

I sealed up the adapter to collar. Used some small rope gasket and put a bead of stove cement. Let the cement set up for over 12 hrs. I must say it looks good! Just fired up the stove and working on getting a bed of coals.

I do notice that the stoves is quieter when it draws, not that it drawing less. I just hear the air rushing thru the flue collar as much. I'll have to see if it make a difference overall.

Thanks!

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.