VC Intrepid 2 Cat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

H2ologd

Dec 4, 2009
Southeast, WI
New member here. Just Installed a used Intrepid 2, 1990 model and I am not sure if the cat is working.

So far here is what I did to the stove and have confirmed.
1. The cat was taken out and was in great shape along with the insulation. All ash removed.
2. Took air compressor and blew out airways for the primary air.
3. Confirmed that the secondary air control was working. I have noticed that my secondary air stays shut even when the stove is at the 400 degree mark. Anyone know if this is normal or could I have a bad controller. Initially it is open when stove is cold.
4. Have good draft in chimney. 6" SS lined chimney.
5. Still get smoke coming from chimney after cat is engaged.
6. Pretty positive that my wood is not seasoned enough, and could very well be the problem. 1 year old black walnut.

I can get the stove up to 600 degrees with the damper open. After closing the damper , the stove top temperatures will slowly drop down to 400 degrees and stay there for about 4 hours. I have been keeping the primary air fully open. Is it normal for the temperature to drop after engaging the cat?

I have also left the doors slightly cracked when the damper is closed and the stove will burn much hotter. I know it is not a safe practice, but it does confirm that more air flow helps.

Besides burning dryer wood, are there any recommendations to get my Intrepid to burn hotter?

Dry wood is the solution. Get a bundle from a friend or from the store and try it out. If the stove suddenly acts like it's on steroids, there's the solution.

PS: what color is the smoke? Dark grey and lingering or white and quickly dissipating?

Not sure what color the smoke is. Have only been burning after work and it is already dark outside. I will try dryer wood and compare the results.

This is my first catalytic stove so this will be a learning process.

I've found that 400 is too cold to engage secondary combustion on my intrepid (thermometer is located on top, behind griddle). I don't shut the damper until at least 500.
By secondary air, are you referring to the hidden metal shutter on the back middle bottom, that's attached to the probe that goes into the secondary combustion chamber? Check to make sure the metal rod is attached correctly to the bimetallic coil, and has not fallen off. Otherwise, it's normal that it closes down as the stove heats up.
I typically leave my primary air full open or levered over 1/4 of the way to the right (depends upon wood being burned, how strong stove is drafting).
I run with cat engaged/damper closed burning at 600-650.
Dry wood is obviously key.
The only way I can tell if the cat is working is by checking the chimney smoke....when it's working, there isn't any smoke. Try getting the stove to 500 with plenty of embers, top off with wood....let run open for a few minutes more to drive off any moisture, then close damper. In a couple minutes, check your chimney...should be little to no smoke. If the stove top starts dropping back to 400 range, open up primary air more and open damper if necessary to get back up to 500 range. Then close damper again and check your smoke.

Try searching the forum for Intrepid...I've posted other times about this stove.

I have an Intrepid II 1308 Cat model. My stove is tucked away in a fire place and I do not have a damper. So far it is running well. I like to keep it at 550-650°. My only gripe is that it seems to take a while to get up to the 300° mark. Once it hits that temp it takes off nicely.

I would bet it is the wood. At times, last year, I had the same problem with the Vigilant. With wetter wood it would stay in the 300-400° range. With dry wood the SOB takes off like a rocket and I close the damper and secondary air.

How old is the cat? Sounds like it's ready for replacement, they are pretty cheap online for less than $100.

Todd said:
How old is the cat? Sounds like it's ready for replacement, they are pretty cheap online for less than $100.

If you can find an Intrepid catalyst for under $120, by all means, share that link.

I'd give it a try with the old one with some known dry wood first. No harm and the old cat might still have a few of it lives left. Does anyone pickle clean their cat in a vinegar solution anymore?

Yeah, try dry wood first. The 50/50 water vinegar soak should only be done for major plugging problem. I was told it does more harm than good and isn't recommended anymore.

Thanks for all the replies.
Wet wood was the problem.
Tonight I mixed some broken pallet wood in with the walnut. I let the stove get to 550 degrees and shut down the draft. The stove ran for 3 hours at 500 degrees and for the last 2 hours it has been humming along at 400 degrees. Since I have an endless supply of pallets from work, I will continue to add them to the walnut until I can find some seasoned wood.

Tomorrow I am going to use all dry wood and see what temperatures and length of burn this Intrepid is capable of producing.

Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

I got the Intrepid running damn good right now. Put a full load in at 1:30am, at 2am with the cat engaged and the secondary air shut down the stove was at 600°-625°, woke up at 8:45am and the stove was sitting at 400°. A 7+ hour burn from a little intrepid with outside temp sitting at about 30°. Can't ask for more than that.

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

If you can find an Intrepid catalyst for under $120, by all means, share that link.

http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/product/24165/25-X-65-Intrepid-Canned_76652.html

I don't recommend the Clear Skies / Stove Combustors cat for the Intrepid. I tried that one because of the cheap price. It sort of looks like a dense coral formation or that nylon mesh called Enkamat. It was very prone to clogging with fly ash because of the small openings that don't go straight through. The only benefit was that it did seem to light off at lower temperatures as claimed, but that was negated by having to open the stove to clean it 3-4 times a season.

Applied Ceramics makes a replacement cat with the square grid openings that's identical to the OEM cat. It's about $105 online. The larger openings seem to much less prone to clogging. I checked it twice last season and only had to remove minor ash accumulation.
http://firecatcombustors.com/Catalog/cat-Vermont.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.