VC Intrepid as fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey020408

Jan 16, 2008
SE Iowa
Can anyone give me input on installing an VC Intrepid in my fireplace? The smaller size means it would fit in all the way, but I wondered if having the back and sides enclosed would mean I'm losing a lot of potential heat? I understand certain fireplace inserts are designed to have the primary heat flow from the front but didn't know how this principle applies to woodstoves. The Intrepid I'm looking at does has a catalytic converter. I'm not terribly fond of fireplace inserts and would like to make this work with a woodstove if possible. Thanks in advance!

One problem is that you lose one of the nice benefits of this stove - top loading. But it can work as long as the expectations for the little stove are realistic.

Thanks for your reply. I do have a fairly good sized stone ledge on my fireplace and a stone mantel so I could easily install it outside of the fireplace and take advantage of the top loading. Initially I was thinking of an Encore as I have just over 2000 sq ft, but I'm not really looking to heat the whole area, just supplemental heat. I understand the Intrepid can cover up to 1200 sq ft so thought for the size this might be a nice option. It's hard to find a good used Encore! Locally I can pick up a new Intrepid II enamel for $1350 (sand, which is a discontinued color). Most of the Encores I've seen are from the late 80s and are in the $750 to $1000 price range.

I would not want to pay a grand for a used Encore - because it could easily need 200-500 worth of parts relatively soon...especially at that age!

As BG says, without top loading the Intrepid is pretty much useless. But you can still install it part way back in - just check that the top can still open and stay hinged back. My guess is that about 12" sticking out would do this. If you use a tight fitting block off, this will result in very little lost heat.

Thanks for your thoughts on the used Encores - although I need to spend as little $ as possible, the unknown of repairs on a used unit could hit hard. It sounds like the Intrepid correctly installed might be the perfect answer.

Hey Baily, just my 2 cents worth, I burned a cat encore sitting on my fireplace for years. What ever you do dont give up the top load feature on the intrepid by pushing it to far back..... its a great feature of the stove. I have currently rebuilt a older Intrepid 2 model 1303 and am in process of installing through the ceiling chimney for it... I hope i like the Intrepid as much as I liked my old encore. Time will tell.

that is what I was going to do. but after educating myself here i learned.
i have mine sitting just outside, but completely out of the fireplace. your missing the point putting it inside.
when you kick the cat converter on, the back and sides get crazy hot.... and you'll be missing out on the radiant heat.
besides missing out on the top load ability
you wont be able to have any 'water/steam' for the top.
you cant add the warming shelves for $100.. (cant wait.. mine will be here next week)

I redid the hearth...... its a pc of cake. OR buy a hearth Pad.. even easier.

here is a pic of my install... just put an elbow on and rotate the collar.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11483/

Okay, I'm learning a lot! Just got another answer to one of my ads for a used stove and it's a Resolute Acclaim. Since the color is biscuit it makes me think it could be a bit newer, but I'll wait to hear back from the seller on age and price. Even though this is non-cat I noticed on the VC website that the burn time is 9 vs 6 hours and the sq ft is up from 1200 to 1600. Unfortunately, the log size is the same - 16". In reading through the forum it sounds like some of the earlier Resolutes had problems but those have been resolved? Depending on price and age this could be another option. Any input??

BTW, thank you to MD for the photo of your installation! It helps to see what you've done and gives me an idea of what using a woodstove with a fireplace looks like.

If the Acclaim has refractory insides on the left and right, then chances are that it is the newer model. Also, if the grate does not shake (early models did).

Also, the label should have a model number - the older was 0041 - you can look up what the newer one is.

The 16" is a conservative measurement - you can fit a couple longer ones in there as I remember...maybe 18"

Status
Not open for further replies.