VC Intrepid Door Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KatrinaMarie

Aug 2, 2017
Rogers, AR
Has anyone swapped out the handle on their VC Intrepid Flexburn for a fixed one instead of the fall away?

I cannot express how much I HATE, truly, deeply HATE the fall away handle. It doesn't sit well in the "holder" and falls out invariably rolling under the hot stove, my dogs think it's a toy and take off with it, my bf has severe ADHD and sets it down everywhere but where it can be easily found; we have been looking for it for 2 days and I'm over it. Hoping someone can share a link for a handle that will fit well and not have loose parts. I think the damper handle would fit on the door but when I reached out to VC they said it wouldn't.

When found, it could be permanently glueed in with high temp epoxy.

Like begreen said you could use high temp epoxy or if you have the ability you could drill and tap the holder and use a set screw or a screw into the handle itself.

I did on my Intrepid flexburn. No regrets. Handle gets a little warm but not bad. The handle on the damper control is interchangeable with that so I just got another one of those and put it on.

Reactions: Earlnemo
On mine you can unscrew the handle from the end and screw it right to the stove. No need for glue or anything like that. I don’t have mine set up like that. I only open the front 1 time to start the fire. After that everything is from the top.

There's a spot on the lower right side of your Flexburn to hold the handle when not in use. I don't use it tbh. You could glue it in, but why did they make it transient? Mine broke but I got a second hand handle from the dealer. It was not perfect but it was not from an Intrepid, but from another returned VC stove. So now I just collect the spare parts. VC took months to respond to the warranty issue. They used to be good, but now they are literally appalling.

There's a spot on the lower right side of your Flexburn to hold the handle when not in use. I don't use it tbh. You could glue it in, but why did they make it transient? Mine broke but I got a second hand handle from the dealer. It was not perfect but it was not from an Intrepid, but from another returned VC stove. So now I just collect the spare parts. VC took months to respond to the warranty issue. They used to be good, but now they are literally appalling.
Weirdly, My VC Flex burn (2115) came with a permanent handle when I received it 3 months ago. I wonder if they have responded to customer complaints.

If they are really responsive to customer complaints I would think they would have redesigned the combuster on they're stoves to be more user friendly, no? Just saying.

Reactions: steveintx