VC Intrepid I Model finally back together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
Whew.

I finally got my old VC Intrepid I model 1302 put back together again. My Resolute II is simple by comparison. Interestingly enough, they're from the same vintage; both have the same owners and operation manuals.

After doing a valve adjustment and oil change on my BMW R100RS (1984 Pearlescent White 60th anniversary colors for those interested) I decided to finally take a crack at putting the stove back together.

When I picked it up on return from vacation in our Volkswagen Westfalia, the previous owner quickly showed me how to disassemble it for lighter transport.

I had to search the net to find out all goes back together again. Happily, the stove is no Humpty Dumpty.

Nothing left to do now but buy some pipe, cut the roof, install the chimney and have a warm garage by fall.
I'm looking forward to firing up sometime in late September or early October.

Say what you will about modern stoves, but there's nothing like the engineering and simple goodness of a an old Vermont Castings stove.

I have yet to fire the Intrepid this season, but the Resolute is warming the house tonight.

This past winter, the little Intrepid did a great job knocking the chill out of the garage.

I have a seasoned cord and a half, and another 1.5 cords of oak that will be ready for next year. The house and garage will be warm.

Alas, the R100RS got hit. I am waiting for insurance weasels to sort it out..

As compared to Catalyitic stoves, dunno. All mine are early 80's models in good shape and burning long and fine.

bmwloco said:
I have yet to fire the Intrepid this season, but the Resolute is warming the house tonight.

This past winter, the little Intrepid did a great job knocking the chill out of the garage.

I have a seasoned cord and a half, and another 1.5 cords of oak that will be ready for next year. The house and garage will be warm.

Alas, the R100RS got hit. I am waiting for insurance weasels to sort it out..

As compared to Catalyitic stoves, dunno. All mine are early 80's models in good shape and burning long and fine.

R100RS? As in a BMW R100RS?

I have an Intrepid II 1308 that is still being sorted out and a Vigilant.

Status
Not open for further replies.