VC Intrepid II Combustor & Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavalier

Jun 28, 2014
AZ
I've been using this stove and it's time to clean the combustion system. In reading the cleaning instruction I find reference to two items that I have now Idea what they look like or where they are. 1) Probe thermostat 2) Combustor and Probe. These may be one in the same. The instruction say "the probe thermostat should be inspected annually". Then in another paragraph it says "inspect the combustor and probe". The exploded view of the stove shows neither of these items. Can someone help me with this as I took everything apart internally, clean it and put all back together and never found any "probe". Thanks for any help provided.

Hi and welcome. I don't own this stove but I believe the probe they are referring to is the secondary probe assembly - part #28 in the manual's parts diagram. The combustor is the catalytic combustor (part #34 - catalytic block).

Reactions: Climbingjimm
Probe is back lower middle of stove, sticks into the bottom half of the fragile white refractory chamber. It's connected to the small steel guillotine style secondary air inlet. Neither is visible from outside back of stove...need to remove back cover plate.
Depending upon what generation Intrepid II, combustor access varies. Older model you need to remove back cover plate and small piece of white refractory in order to get at the combustor. On the newer version, it is acessed from inside the firebox.
If you haven't found either the proble or combustor, you may have the non-cat Intrepid.

Status
Not open for further replies.