1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

VC Intrepid II Damper Problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jbeemer, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbeemer

jbeemer New Member

Hi! Trying to find model-specific troubleshooting info for a stove is not easy, so I'm hoping for some feedback.

I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II (catalytic), about 6 yrs old. Works great, but I am having a damper problem. I can close the damper with no problem, but the "d-plate" that the bar hits against to open and close keeps coming loose, so the bar misses the re-opening piece if I need to add wood. It gets pretty exciting as I open the doors an poke it open with the fireplace-poker so it vents! :bug:

Do I need a new damper? New plate? A call to VC?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

That d plate is held by a 7/`6 nut but also an allen set screw, Have you checked the set screw for tightness?
  3. jbeemer

jbeemer New Member

I had the unpleasant experience of pulling the stove out and taking out the damper/plate. What a pain to get it back in again!

The allen set-screw doesn't reach the D-plate even all the way screwed in. I tightened down the regular screw, which fixed the problem fine through about a dozen openings/closings, but now it's acting up again. I have checked to make sure it's loose again, but it's the same symptom, so I assume it is. The plate flops sideways so that the bar doesn't hit the bottom pin on the way down and the damper stays shut.
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Have you tried a lock washer behind the nut? Is the damper plate warped or connecting rod bent?
  5. jbeemer

jbeemer New Member

It doesn't seem as though anything is bent, the screw just keeps coming loose. A lock washer is probably a good thing to try next.

Thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.