VC Intrepid (non-catalytic) operating issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshound

Jan 10, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Hello to all, I am new to this board. I've checked various posts for my issue but can't seem to find an answer.

I have a VC Intrepid non-catalytic unit. I'm not sure of its age, but I'm guessing pre-1990. I bought one year ago and had it installed in our kitchen a week before Christmas.

It sits in our kitchen (17' x 30', 9' ceiling) inside a stone fireplace. We installed a 40' of 6" SS flexible liner inside the chimney chase. The draft is really good (except on warm days).

I have used some 2 year old dry birch up until a week ago and switched over to a new batch of mixed softwood and ash (which was cut a few weeks ago). I bought some kiln-dried hardwood to start the fire and then burn the ash only. The birch gave us super hot fires (+500F), but now we can't seem to get it above 200F. Although, as I write this, it's approaching 600F.

I have read the owner's manual instructions. I'm waiting until I have a few coals before adding more wood - usually about 15 - 20 minutes. The thermostat lever (on the right side) is in the down/open position. After about 40 minutes, I close the damper (left side). During the past week its been really cold, between -15 and -20C and have not been able to get it over 200F.

My issue is how do I tell if the thermostat lever is working properly? Right now the unit is approaching 600F with the lever in the upright/closed position. The manual says for hotter fires to put this in the down/open position. Is it possible there's an air leak? How do I check for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the controller is in the "cooler, longer fire" position and it's approaching 600 degrees, something stinks in Denmark. Flap might be "stuck"... try shaking the handle, can you hear the flap rattle? When it handle gets to the limit of movement either way, kind of shake it, rattle back and forth, then move it where you want it...

Is the handle obviously hooked to something, or not? There is a little chain in there... between the handle and the flap that controls the air input. If that is unhooked, the flap would fall, maybe into the closed position, maybe past it, depends on the design of the stove.

Shaking that handle, you should "feel" the flap "jump" and hear the chain rattle a little. No? Chain's unhooked or linkage wore out and broke. It's under the convection shroud in the rear. Might be able to access it to see or feel it from the bottom side way in the back...

blueshound said:
I have used some 2 year old dry birch up until a week ago and switched over to a new batch of mixed softwood and ash (which was cut a few weeks ago).

end of discussion... if you just cut your wood a few weeks ago it's not ready to burn... your not going to get heat out of green wood, you will get some nice creosote though

try finding seasoned wood (over 1 yr cut) and see if that solves your problem....

Welcome to the forum neighbour!

As Blaze said your wood is not ready.

Hey Blaze...how is it glowing?

With green ash and kiln dried kindling, you're getting 600 degree temperatures with the fire control lever set to "cooler/longer". Wood seasoned a year would do much better, but meantime get the works straightened out there... sounds like something going on in the linkage between the primary air control flap and the control handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.