VC Merrimack Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYChowd

Dec 9, 2015
New York
This is my first season with my VC Merrimack insert. I am noticing that it frequently makes loud popping sounds after it has been going for a while (seems the term is called 'Oilcanning"). I think it happens more with the damper all the way down ( like when we go to bed). The stove seem plenty hot, been when it gets going, it pops loudly about every 10 seconds. It keeps me up at night until I go down and load it back up with wood or open the damper up when there is wood in it. Everyone Ive talked to seems to think this is unusual including people who have the same unit. Is this a defect? Should I be worried. Its not even that cold yet here in NY. Temps probably in the 30's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a video of the stove and the sound it is making ... then go talk to your dealer. One of the pellet stoves was doing the same thing (from the description) and the stove was replaced. IIRC, bad welds...

This is my first season with my VC Merrimack insert. I am noticing that it frequently makes loud popping sounds after it has been going for a while (seems the term is called 'Oilcanning"). I think it happens more with the damper all the way down ( like when we go to bed). The stove seem plenty hot, been when it gets going, it pops loudly about every 10 seconds. It keeps me up at night until I go down and load it back up with wood or open the damper up when there is wood in it. Everyone Ive talked to seems to think this is unusual including people who have the same unit. Is this a defect? Should I be worried. Its not even that cold yet here in NY. Temps probably in the 30's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I own one of these Merrimacks and that is not normal behavior. Mime will make a couple of loud clanks just as it is heating up, maybe an hour after initially lighting the five, but that's it! I won't do it again until the fire is almost out 10-11 hours later (depending on what wood I am burning) This seems very strange to me. Have you found a remedy?

Bad welds on a Vermont Castings?

Surprise, surprise.

Call the dealer, that doesn't sound correct.

Reactions: dbnewlon
I think mine is just normal for expansion and contraction upon initial heating, but for it to happen over and over again? I agree, there is something seriously wrong with your stove. Mine has been working amazingly well for three seasons straight burning from November thru April with no issues. We have a lot of winter here in Michigan. Just about ready to crank it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.