VC Radiance (#2773) gas log stove goes out and pilot goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Gaudet

Nov 30, 2013
Maine
I bought the stove used for my cabin. Couldn't get the pilot light to stay on. The tech. came out and replaced the thermo coupler. When I returned the stove started fine but then shut down after a short while shutting off the pilot. I couldn't get the pilot lit. Talked with the repair company and he asked if I reset the stove? I had left and didn't realize you could do that. They came out when I was gone. I believe he said that they were going to replace the orifice pilot by the vent. I am here now and the same thing is happening. I can restart the pilot after resetting but the stove shuts down after a short while. Any suggestions.

Thanks - Paul

paul what is the model of your stove ,and what are you doin to reset the stove

is the pilot flame nice and blue and can you tell if its hitting the thermocouple well?what you describe thats happening sounds as if the pilot flame isnt staying on the t-couple when its got the burner on causing it to shut down .In this case you may need a pilot shield if you already got a new pilot orfice installed

is the pilot flame nice and blue and can you tell if its hitting the thermocouple well?what you describe thats happening sounds as if the pilot flame isnt staying on the t-couple when its got the burner on causing it to shut down .In this case you may need a pilot shield if you already got a new pilot orfice installed
The flame is perfect and hits the thermocouple. The shield sounds like a good idea. Can you install yourself and where do I get one?

Thanks for your help.

yes you can install it your self any piece of metal will work as long as you can bend it ,i use 24 gauge or thicker but you can use thinner to make a test shield first to get the proper fit then make one out of thicker stuff for the final piece.I usually make a L shaped or U shaped shield that sits around the pilot assembly .

yes you can install it your self any piece of metal will work as long as you can bend it ,i use 24 gauge or thicker but you can use thinner to make a test shield first to get the proper fit then make one out of thicker stuff for the final piece.I usually make a L shaped or U shaped shield that sits around the pilot assembly .
What location do I install it?

around the the sides and rear of the pilot area just dont put it in front of the pilot flame where it lights the burner that wouldnt be good the idea is to shield the thermocouple from air blowing around it

Status
Not open for further replies.