VC Resolute Acclaim 2490 - How to Replace Combustion Package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Debbie Knapp

Jan 14, 2017
Metro West Boston
I've had my Resolute Acclaim 2490 for about 15 years. I recently replaced the 2 grills on the bottom. The fire bricks at the back cracked so I ordered them (will arrive 1/17/17). Yesterday the fire bricks broke completely and revealed the combustion chamber (made out of fiberglass?) is also broken and deteriorated. I felt pretty confident I could replace the fire bricks & seal plate. I am not so confident about replacing the combustion package. Is it reasonable to think I could do it - I'm a handy 64 year old woman, handy but have no experience at all with this. One wood stove store warned me that the VC stove is likely to break more as i try to replace the combustion box and I should put the money into a new stove. I've searched for instructions, support, anything with no luck.

Relax, the stove won't break. Once the sealing plates are off, the upper fireback and damper assy. must be removed. There are 2 bolts that hold it on, one on the left and one on the right, in line with the damper adjuster. A socket wrench makes it a lot easier to reach them. Remove those bolts, take out the upper unit, and there is the Comb. Pkg.

I would urge you to REPLACE the upper fireback and damper assy. at this time. As the upper firebaclk warps, and they all do, it screws up the damper's operation. while you're in there anyway, do this now.

Also, remove the exterior sides and squirt furnace cement into the front corner seams, as this is a common leakage problem in 2490"s. Do gaskets while you're at it, and you should be good for another 15.

or you could do like the dealer suggested and invest in a newer less maintenance stove, not slamming VC but it seams to be a recurring theme with them about fragile, expensive, frequent rebuilds. My grand parents owned an old VC (80's) it worked well and looked nice, they moved 6-7 years ago and purchased a new one, it looked beautiful, and when it worked right it was great, then the combustion chamber and a few other things started to go so it got rebuilt, then they went again, so it got replaced.

Had a friend with this stove. She had to have it rebuilt every 3-5th year. Three rebuilds cost as much as the original stove. Finally got rid of it and put in a mini-split heat pump system with no regrets.

OK, but bear in mind it's been 15 years! Not unreasonable really to have to do some work every 15 years. Considering the proportions of the stove, its architecture, and the top load feature which is SO dope, maybe not so bad yeah? Acclaims rock and the key to sorting out the viability of a Vermont Castings stove is often its intended use. Remember that 3 IS the magic number, so if you're looking at burning like 3 cords per season or more you may want to look elsewhere. But there are a world of people who burn less and will likely get good service from these guys. Dude really? You're gonna hang in front of your mini split heat pump all evening?

Thanks for the replies. I talked with a few different people and seems I can continue to use the stove with the damaged combustion package - though it won't be as efficient. Also the consensus I got was to put the money into a new stove. The cost of parts and labor is going to be pretty steep - with no way to predict additional parts that may break and/or need replacing along the way. If I could do the work myself I might give it a shot - but paying for known parts ($4-500) labor ($185/hr) and still having an old stove doesn't seem to make sense. For this season I'll use it as is, look for sales in the spring - and rebates that may be available in MA.

Thanks for the replies. Several people I talked to believed I could safely use the stove with the damaged combustion package for the rest of the season though it won't be as efficient. The cost for parts ($4-500) plus labor ($185/hr) plus any additional parts that may be needed and/or break along the way is a lot - especially since I'll still have an old stove at the end of it. If I could do the labor myself, I might give it a try - but it's outta my league. I'll hang in with it for this season, hope for the best, and look for sales in the spring. I'll also look for any 2017 rebates offered in MA.

$185.00/ hour?!??? Is that really the going rate for a technician to repair a stove?

Well once you replace the package, upper fireback, and bricks, there isn't a lot left in there to go wrong!
$185.00 per hour? Guess they don't want the work very badly. I charge half that! Bring it to NH.

I realize that I'm 3 years late to this particular thread, but am hoping it is still being followed. Very disappointed with my 4 year old resolute acclaim 2490. Both the rear brick package and the combustion package are falling apart. Will likely cost me approximately $1000 (Canadian) to buy the parts and have them shipped to me here in Nova Scotia. I'll do the work myself to save labour costs, but would very much like to see an instructional video to guide me. It seems you can find anything on Youtube, except how to do this job.
Can anyone direct me to a video, or even written instructions, for doing this job?
BTW, there are other issues with the stove that I'm not happy with: Wooden handles that loosen and break far too easily, the ash tray is made of very thin metal that is cracking/ leaking. Not ready to give up on a stove that we paid nearly $5000 (included installation), but would never again buy a VC stove.

I realize that I'm 3 years late to this particular thread, but am hoping it is still being followed. Very disappointed with my 4 year old resolute acclaim 2490. Both the rear brick package and the combustion package are falling apart. Will likely cost me approximately $1000 (Canadian) to buy the parts and have them shipped to me here in Nova Scotia. I'll do the work myself to save labour costs, but would very much like to see an instructional video to guide me. It seems you can find anything on Youtube, except how to do this job.
Can anyone direct me to a video, or even written instructions, for doing this job?
BTW, there are other issues with the stove that I'm not happy with: Wooden handles that loosen and break far too easily, the ash tray is made of very thin metal that is cracking/ leaking. Not ready to give up on a stove that we paid nearly $5000 (included installation), but would never again buy a VC stove.
So I just went through this.
Guy wanted $500 for stove, I saw combustion chamber was garbage, got it for free.
Replaced combustion chamber , gaskets and 1 warped grate for about $360. 3 hours labor, and one snapped screw in the flue plate which I chose not to drill out. $5000 stove for $360, and I was just burning at 600 degrees and heated my whole house. I can walk you through the basics if interested.

Attachments

• 20200116_173522.jpg
    20200116_173522.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 20200228_220931.jpg
    20200228_220931.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 261
Where did you find parts that cheap? That sounds more like $1000 in parts.

Where did you find parts that cheap? That sounds more like $1000 in parts.
It is, if you buy from local dealer.
Grate and fire brick can be found on Amazon, or in multiple places on the Interwebs.

So I just went through this.
Guy wanted $500 for stove, I saw combustion chamber was garbage, got it for free.
Replaced combustion chamber , gaskets and 1 warped grate for about $360. 3 hours labor, and one snapped screw in the flue plate which I chose not to drill out. $5000 stove for $360, and I was just burning at 600 degrees and heated my whole house. I can walk you through the basics if interested.
Hi Sloburn, I could use your help! Could you email me about where you got your parts? We are in dire need for our 2490. Cheers [email protected]

Hi Joe
We are in the middle of doing the combustion and fireback...any certain order we should be tackling this? We have combustion package in but finding fireback difficult to get bolts back in.

Hi Joe
We are in the middle of doing the combustion and fireback...any certain order we should be tackling this? We have combustion package in but finding fireback difficult to get bolts back in.
Hi. I have just discovered Hearth.com during a search for a gasket kit. My VC Acclaim 2490 is misbehaving and I am learning a lot from reading these posts. If replacing the gaskets doesn't help a lot, I suspect the combustion package may be the next step.

It seems I will have to inspect it. I don't see any replies to Joe Beaton (above) about YouTube videos or other help with accessing the combustion package and replacing it if necessary. I don't see any replies to Barbie Beach's question either.

Thanks, in anticipation...

Joe made one post here. Unlikely to respond. Try posting in the VC owners thread or start a new thread on the topic.

One (of several) problem areas on the 2490 are the front corner joints. If you remove the exterior sides ( bolt w nut @ bottom center, also remove damper handle) you can easily access these joints. Get furnace cement in caulking tube and inject it from outside & inside. Really helps!!

One (of several) problem areas on the 2490 are the front corner joints. If you remove the exterior sides ( bolt w nut @ bottom center, also remove damper handle) you can easily access these joints. Get furnace cement in caulking tube and inject it from outside & inside. Really helps!!
We have had our Resolute Acclaim for 25 years. Was a $2000+ stove back then. Has been our main source of heat and put 5-6 cords through it a year. Have replaced refractory once or twice. Getting a heat pump and will use the wood stove much less. Looked at new stoves and to get something similar ( but not porcelain coated like our resolute) would be at least $4000. Decided to rebuild ours. Did all the refractory including combustion unit at a cost of $1750. Will likely only put a cord through it a year now. Hopefully good for another 25 years.