VC Resolute Acclaim Glass Cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bilvihur

Feb 28, 2012
Mid-Hudson Valley
Fired up the 3 year old Acclaim tonight for first time in month. Expecting a hard freeze. When I went to add wood later there was a crack extending horizontally across the glass front. It must have heated too quickly with the dry locust. It doesn't seem to be allowing in air or affecting the draft. Is this something that can be lived with, or am I looking for trouble? Aside from the dealer, are there any online sites that sell these replacement parts? Thanks.

Welcome. It's unlikely that temperature cracked the ceramic glass. It usually takes a sharp blow to crack or strong pressure by a log. This definitely should be fixed asap. Check dealer for price and compare with a good local glass shop that sells NeoCeram, Robax, etc. ceramic glass. Online there is www.onedayglass.com.

Reactions: PapaDave
Thanks for the quick response and info. I'm pretty sure I didn't strike the glass, and only had paper and kindling when I heard/noticed the crack. Got through the night without a problem, and it got down to 30::F here. I will call and check around for prices, and post with what I come up with.

Check the grates to see if they are seated properly, if they are not pushed all the way back or are warped they will hit the glass and put pressure on it when the metal heats up and expands and crack the glass. I have seen this on a few occasions. As BG stated replace before you end up with bigger issues.:cool:

Just a follow-up. One-Day-Glass had the best price for NeoCeram, so I filled out their online order form, giving the dimensions requested for an arch-top glass. It didn't fit! It turns out that the degrees of arc that they use for the arch was not what I needed. They were nice enough to give me a discount on the second order, for which I supplied a tracing. It arrived today and fit perfectly. Words of Wisdom: Always go through the trouble of sending them a tracing, especially if the glass is not perfectly square or rectangular. Not all curves are easily described, and mistakes can be costly!

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.