VC Resolute III help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
First post to the forum, and am excited to be here! I have been burning blindly with my Resolute III (double doors) for 4 years. Wasn't til I stumble on this site this year when I learned how to use it right. I just replaced all the gaskets, sweeped the chimney and got the stove ready to go. Fired it up Saturday and I noticed a big improvement from last year right away. I have been trying to burn in Down Draft mode, but i'm having a little trouble with it.

I get a nice bed of coals, get the fire cranking to 550-600 for 15 minutes or so, then close the damper. When I do this the temp falls to 300-350 with in 30 minutes, and I am getting a little smoke leakage from the stove, and a pretty good amount out of the stack.

I'm thinking that I need to clean the secondary air supply out, because it seems like in down draft it is not getting enough air to the top of the wood. Your thoughts??? I have seen on here about people taking the sides off, and back off to clean the primary and secondary air inlets, how big of a job is that? To be quite honest with you, I have no idea how to do it, so if there is some one out there willing to walk me through it, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Steve

By closing the damper, do you mean you are shutting off the draft? If so, don't close it. Dial the draft down but don't close it because as you stated, "...it seems like in down draft it is not getting enough air..."

As far as I know with this stove, the damper is either up "up draft" or down "down draft. There is no in between settings to use....

I don't think cleaning out that relatively tiny secondary air inlet is going to make much of a difference - of course, it should be relatively clear (lots of ways to test that - maybe just use a small rubber hose to blow into it and see if ash gets stirred up in the firebox).

More likely, it will be chimney draft (often related to outside temp and weather, among other things), operator and wood....which determines how well it works in downdraft position. This stove, of course, is designed to work in that position virtually all the time, but it needs a good chimney and installation to do so.

What are ways I can check my draft? It was good last year, can it change from year to year? Could the fact that it has been in the 30's-40's be the reason, instead of being 20 degree out? Thanks for all the help!

Check the basics - at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/chimneys_an_unexact_science/

Yes, chimney draft situations are infinite - that is, some folks with stoves will have situations occur that they never experienced before - even after MANY years of things being different!

And, yes, chimney draft will usually get better as the temps drop - and also on days when it it less humid outside.
The first things to check are the easiest - for instance, are all the stovepipe joints put together using furnace cement - also where the pipe goes into the stove - and whether there is any buildup of ash or soot in an elbo or tee.

You could have to complete describe your chimney situation for more specific advice, but you can dig a lot up here (search) and on our QA section:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/search/

(search on bad draft or poor draft or chimney draft)

I cleaned out the primary and secondary air inlets last night by blowing air through them. It was a good thing to do because it blew a lot of ash out of both inlets. That might have something to do with the flow getting to the fire. Also, when it blew the ash all around it showed me a couple of cracks that needed to be resealed with cement, so I was able to make that fix as well. Thanks for the thoughts, hopefully that helps out, and it is not a huge draft issue. Thanks!

Steve

Hi -

I am burning a 5 year old VC Resolute Acclaim. I just re-built it I'm pretty sure former wife over fired it a few times...

I took a bright light (small police type flashlight) and I could see several places, especially at the underside of the top front of the stove. I also blew out air passages, replaced gaskets. I noticed a good deal of improvement.

When firing up a cold stove, I get a good load of splits burning well. I close the bypass door. And back the primary air to about 1/2. Then after about 10-20 minutes I'll damp down the primary air further if need be for an overnight burn for example.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.