VC Resolute stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mybooman

Aug 25, 2015
Central NY
I am in the process of semi-restoring a new to me VC Resolute III, I have sanded it down, re-cemented the seams, and put one coat of paint on it. Next will be the gaskets, final coat and cure before I bring it in. I will be replacing an old Black Bart freestanding insert, and I would like to use my current set up as much as possible. I have some questions regarding the chimney / stove pipe. The VC manual says I can use an 8" flue, but I get confused by some of the terminology as I have noticed it tends to be interchanged at times and this is too important not to get right. The Resolute has a 6" (+/-) slightly oval chimney connector opening, is it okay to go up 9" so with the 6" pipe and then put the increaser (or decreaser depending on which website one is on Ahhh!) and use the remaining 8" pipe? The total pipe height from stove top to box on ceiling is 8'. Or do I have to purchase all new 6" stove pipe and put the increaser at the top where it connects to the box?

It should work ok with the 8", especially if there is more height from the ceiling connection to the cap above the roof.

Yes, there is, lots more but I am not about to climb up and measure! It was installed by a sweep (ex's brother), so I am confident that all is good up there. I am so looking forward to this swap! The Resolute is dimensionally a lot smaller, but I am hoping it will give off more heat, any thoughts? My boys are concerned that it doesn't have a blower like the Bart, and I have tried to alleviate those concerns by explaining the difference with the radiant heat and horizontal burn. Am I right?

The Resolute is a medium-small stove. It is not going to match the heat output of the Black Bart. Nor will it match the hungry appetite for wood of the Black Bart. For the best heat output be sure the firewood is fully seasoned to the core. Dry wood will help the stove perform the best. If the chimney is tall you may want to consider adding a draft damper on the stove pipe about 18" above the stove.

Uh oh, than we may be in trouble. The Bart does have a VERY hungry appetite, and some large cracks in its back which is why I want to get rid of it. It is far from air tight, if it was ever meant to be. Looks nice, though. I have a damper already in the stove pipe, but was going to remove it thinking that it would create a place for creosote to grow, thank you for the thought, now I will leave it. After all I have been reading, I know now that my wood isn't dry/seasoned enough and that that has been one of my problems and I am not certain what I am going to do for this winter, but the good Lord has looked over me this far! Anyone tried those fake wood blocks? Woodbricks or something like them? We were beyond snowed in last winter and I tried them for a bit, quite expensive, but if purchased in bulk they are cheaper. Maybe if I mix them with real wood? Any thoughts? Or wood sellers in Central NY?

High quality compressed wood products can be a good source of fuel. The lower compressed, flakey blocks or log should be avoided. What solid fuel products are available in your area? Are there any sellers of kiln dried wood?

How large an area will you be trying to heat? How well insulated is it?

I am looking to heat our great room, 24/7, which is approximately 18.5 x19.5 with a cathedral type ceiling beginning at 10' and topping off at 16' 4". Four double panned windows, two are your typical 35" x 48" and two are about 6'8" x 24" ; plus one double glass door going out onto our deck which doesn't exist. Long story. The room is an addition, three outside walls, probably well insulated at one time, but not now. Not poorly insulated, just under normal/well. It sits only a few feet off of the cold ground and the most of the rest of the house is +130 year old farmhouse, which we sparingly heat with propane. We live in the great room in the cold months. Most nights the Bart could keep up, except when that wind came whipping up those 43 acres of fields we sit atop. Pipes are fine at 10 below, but 17 above with wind....forget it! Even leaving them dripping doesn't always help! I digress. Last winter changed me. Not sure if it's for the good or bad yet, just changed. I am still looking for kiln dried wood, lots of kiln dried lumber places here, Gutchess, but doubt they sell firewood. Only way to find out is to ask, which is what I shall do tomorrow.

It sounds like you will be pushing the Resolute hard. The house needs sealing up. Have you considered a NYS subsidized energy audit?

The Resolute is dimensionally a lot smaller, but I am hoping it will give off more heat, any thoughts? My boys are concerned that it doesn't have a blower like the Bart, and I have tried to alleviate those concerns by explaining the difference with the radiant heat and horizontal burn. Am I right?

I'm sorry to say it, but you will be disappointed during the winter - that is too much room for the Resolute to handle. Our combination living / dining room is almost almost the exact same dimensions, cathedral ceiling included, the Resolute here always struggled in heating that amount of space.

Your boys concerns are valid in this case.

If it was me, I would be considering something as large as the Bart, or even a bigger stove, with a blower.

Not going to give up on the Resolute quite yet. I knew from the get:-o the Vigilant would be a better size, but was unable to find one that was either not damaged beyond my means or intentionally manipulated in such a fashion that I didn't want anything to do with it- cobbed, rigged, whatever term fits. I am continuously scouring Craig's list for my area, and if it's meant to be it will. Safety is number one and Bart to me is not safe, maybe for someone's shop, but not left unattended in my home while I am at work. Will be good stuffing and caulking next weekend. Always a pleasure! Thank you all for all your help keep it coming!!!!

That's cool, as long as you know you may have to fire the Resolute hot, when home, to heat up that space. If the Bart is unsafe unattended, then the Resolute is definitely a better choice at this point. Hope the CL search turns out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.