VC Stardance - Can I convert back to natural gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewStove37

Nov 28, 2015
MA
I've seen some older posts about converting VC stoves back to gas from propane, but not sure if there's any new info out there. I picked up a used Stardance on Craigslist. Realized when I went to pick it up that, while it was advertised as "gas," it's set up for propane. Guess I should have asked.

I considered leaving it, but it's a good looking stove with blower/remote and the price was right. Figured it was worth taking home and converting back to gas. Now I'm realizing it's a little more complicated than that. Any advice - including telling me to put it back on Craigslist - appreciated. Thanks.

Converting from or to NG or vice versa is not a big deal. Check with a local VC dealer to see what availability of the correct kit. The main burner and pilot orifice are larger for NG, so even if the kit is unavailable, they can be drilled to the correct size. The control regulator will be more difficult. You may need to cross reference the control to a newer model which uses the same control.

I've seen some older posts about converting VC stoves back to gas from propane, but not sure if there's any new info out there. I picked up a used Stardance on Craigslist. Realized when I went to pick it up that, while it was advertised as "gas," it's set up for propane. Guess I should have asked.

I considered leaving it, but it's a good looking stove with blower/remote and the price was right. Figured it was worth taking home and converting back to gas. Now I'm realizing it's a little more complicated than that. Any advice - including telling me to put it back on Craigslist - appreciated. Thanks.

Hi New Stove 37, Please reference my post. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-to-natural-gas-lp-to-ng.149442/#post-2006139

I am trying to convert NG to LP. It is likely we have each others parts. Conversion is easy; its the parts that are tough to find. Honeywell stopped making the valve. Please folllow the links in my post to check your model to see if my parts will work or send me the specific model number information information and I can look them up. I hope we can work out a trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: barmstrong2
Status
Not open for further replies.