VC stove not heating at all. Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzeback83

Jan 6, 2015
New England
I just installed a early 80's Vermont Casting vigilant wood stove. It's on the hearth and vented out the back with 8" ss flex liner. It is burning hot close but isn't help heating the house. 2002 house well insulated with 1800 sq ft.
What am I missing? Any suggestions appreciated

What do you mean it's burning "hot"? How are you measuring the temperature? You'll need either a infrared thermometer or a stovetop unit. This unit is a very capable heater, and should heat that amount of space pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defiant
Are you closing the bypass once the stove is warmed up?

I just installed a early 80's Vermont Casting vigilant wood stove. It's on the hearth and vented out the back with 8" ss flex liner. It is burning hot close but isn't help heating the house. 2002 house well insulated with 1800 sq ft.
What am I missing? Any suggestions appreciated
Are you closing the bypass once the stove is warmed up?
I do close the bypass. Even with a cieling fan the heat seems stagnant. Maybe a airflow heat powered fan on the stove?

Last edited:
Since you don't seem interested in answering the question about the temperature, I'm going to move on - Good Luck.

Could be a number of things. The first suspect is the wood. A thermometer on the stove top will be good for guidance. The stove should be around 500-650F on top. Some other possible issues could be related to the stove placement in the house and the house is not tight. It can be well insulated by have leakage due to recessed can lights, an unsealed attic door, etc..

Reactions: saskwoodburner
in case you are confused about the temp readings, go to a local fireplace shop and buy what is called a magnetic stove thermometer. I think on the old VC stoves, best spot to read was on the front right corner of the griddle. Give us some temps after you build a fire, load it with 2 year seasoned hardwood, shut the damper at about 500 degrees, leave air half open and waiting about an hour. Should be able to tell a lot from that.

Reactions: begreen
I'd look at the wood as well as being a source of the problem. Being a new woodburner with some questionable pieces, I've experienced this.

Does the fire go, but not great, and secondaries will light off, but not very well?

I'd look at the wood as well as being a source of the problem. Being a new woodburner with some questionable pieces, I've experienced this.

Does the fire go, but not great, and secondaries will light off, but not very well?

This is a old stove, no secondaries.

Whoops! Didn't notice this was classic wood stove part.

Status
Not open for further replies.