Q&A VC (Vermont Castings) Resolute question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi, I bought a used Resolute it's color is grey enamel.It has double doors a damper lever on the back and a secondary damper that has a lever and a chain linkage going down to the small 2"x 4.5 door.it has a top loading griddle as well.The double door also does not have the fire viewing today's acclaims have.It also says not for use in the US (I'm from Canada).I'm just wondering if this would be the same as a resolute 1.Inside the stove it has 1979 cast into a part at the back of the stove.This stove is in excellent physical condition,I've yet to use it though.The gaskets need to be changed.There was also a lot of ash through out the stove(i mean lots)all the small holes at the back of the stove were plugged as well.This stove with the poor gaskets and all the ash make me wonder how well it operated for it's owners(these people just bought the house and got rid of the stove).I have the gasket kit coming.I live in a 1000 square foot home.This stove will be located in my basement.I wonder how efficient this stove is in comparison to the current acclaim?I will be comparing it to a an osburn 1600 (just sold my old place).

Answer:

You have a stove that was probably built in the mid-to-very late 80's when EPA disallowed the sale of a new non-EPA certified stove in the US.

However, VC still manufactured them for export for other countries before finally discontinuing both that color and model.
The date stamped in the fireback signifies when that pattern was first made, not when your stove was made.
Those holes in the fireback will get plugged and you'll need to keep them clear.
During the heating season, if you find that the operation seems sluggish when you close the damper, it may be a good idea to remove the upper & lower firebacks to remove the excessive flyash amount that has built up over the years.
If so inclined, doing it now before the season begins removes that area of doubt right from the start.
Although a time-consuming and messy job for the first time service person, it's what I would do.
Be sure to furnace cement the edges of the lower fireback while re-installing to maintain a good seal.Your stove design is similar to a Res.I but has a different fireback, damper, door, and griddle design.
Other than that it's the same!
You may be able to find older glass panels but they'll get "carboned" (black) up in no time and will require cleaning often.
I think it's a waste.You have a good stove that requires a good fire (400 deg. F griddle top) in order to be somewhat efficient.
In time you'll learn the balance of fuel, temp.,
and air settings for the comfort you want.
Buy a griddle thermometer to help gauge heat output.
After a year if it's not what you want, sell it (easily sold) and buy a newer more efficient stove.
(Answered by Ken Rajesky, MorsoUSA)

Link: Vermont Castings

Status
Not open for further replies.