VC Vigilant 1A Door Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running my vigilant for a couple weeks now and I have noticed the front right door does not close very well. If you look closely it has a slight warp to it. I tried the dollar bill test and I was able to pull the dollar bill out with the door closed.

I was wondering what I could do about a warped door? I'm assuming replacement but I know parts might be difficult to find for these stoves. Thanks for the help.

Have you checked Craigslist? I often see older VC stoves on there in need of repair. May be able to grab one for a decent price and have a few extra parts/panels.

I do check Craigslist religiously, in fact that is where I found my stove. There are a lot of VC Vigilant stoves on there but they are all complete. Plus I'd worry about the doors on another stove being warped too. But I will keep my options open and continue to check Craigslist.

Yes. I might have a 1C because I think there is a 2 piece fire back? Do you know the measurements of the 2 different door heights? I could measure mine to be sure of my model. It does have an ash fettle too. That's why I was thinking 1A or 1C. Thanks.

I do not have the door dimensions. The 1A originally had a one piece fireback, but if you replace the fireback they give you a 2 piece setup (thats what I did on mine). So you may have a 1A, but it may have been retrofitted with the 2 piece fireback. There should be a serial # plate on the rear whihc will help you determine what model it is.

I have looked for the serial # plate but it is not very obvious. I honestly do not think there is one. The stove has been rebuilt, so it would make sense that the fireback is 2 pieces now. The 1A and 1C have the same size doors correct?

And so it does, my regrets. I have had my eye on that post for a month now and just two days ago!! I was so happy to have possibly been able to help out,';em oh well, not going to give up that easily.

I have been running my vigilant for a couple weeks now and I have noticed the front right door does not close very well. If you look closely it has a slight warp to it. I tried the dollar bill test and I was able to pull the dollar bill out with the door closed.

I was wondering what I could do about a warped door? I'm assuming replacement but I know parts might be difficult to find for these stoves. Thanks for the help.

The doors are fairly easy to find online, not sure if they will be in stock, but I bet you can get one pretty easy. Have you tried to replace the gasket? My doors didn't seal well but with a new gasket and an adjustment of the locking mechanism, my Vigilant became much more air tight.

Hold up! There are 2 problems here: First, your Vig has "short doors" ( 5 1/2" between hinges) which warp. Later models had "long doors" (7 1/2" between hinges) which don't warp, and in fact if you were to order a replacement door, it wouod be a long one, as that's all that's available. Also, the replacement doors don't come with holes for hinge pins, so you'd have to drill em, which you can't do unless you take the stove apart. Trust me
, I've tried. So it just won't work. Get creative with gasketing! May need a larger size on that bottom edge for example. You should with some fussing be able to get hat door sealed pretty well, then watch for a long door Vig. on C.L.

Status
Not open for further replies.