VC Vigilant door glass issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob M

Oct 3, 2015
Pinckney, Michigan
I am attempting to reseal my doors for my stove. There is a wire (like a coathanger) that is bent to the shape of the glass and is sleeved with a fiberglass braid. This seal rests between the two panes of glass. I can find no listing for this seal on any of the parts websites and have received several replies to the companys but with no success. Since the glass is the same size for all of the Vigilants (even the coal stove) I wouldn't think this would that hard to find.
Has anyone had this issue and, if so, how did you resolve it?
I found a fiberglass sleeve material on a website that is about the right size but I need to buy 100 feet of it at a minimum which I do if I was sure it would work. When I last resealed these doors (1992) the seals were in good enough shape to use over but now they are falling apart.

My Defiant Encore has the same gasket in between the glass panels. I think the part was available from discountstoveparts.com, but I decided to try and replace the gasket material instead. I re-used the metal wire and used a small rope gasket and managed to slide it over the wire. I think I used 1/4", but it could have been 3/16", if that size is available. See what size seems to be the best fit. Be careful when reassembling the glass and tightening down the metal tabs. Don't overdo it with the pressure, or you will crack the glass. Guess how I figured that one out..

Status
Not open for further replies.