VC Vigilant flue problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wbracy

Jan 8, 2009
southern NH
Recently we purchased a VC Vigilant 1977 in wonderful shape. First few days the stove seem to be functioning nicely, putting off tons of heat and then I noticed that there just wasn’t any draft working when the damper was closed.

When the damper is open there is plenty of draft and the fire gets hot quickly. I checked the flue and chimney and both are clean with no obstructions. I first thought there might be a problem with the primary heat tube, but I have blown through this and plenty of air is moving through the tube. (used my shop vacuum as a blower.

I am not sure what I should be checking regarding the exhausting of the stove. I suspect that there could be a blockage in or around the smoke shelf area. But, I am not too sure just how to check this.

This stove replaced an older Resolute Acclaim and at our mountain home we have a Defiant so we are familiar with Vermont Castings stoves.

Any assistance is certainly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

The only way to access that area is to remove the flue collar and make sure the plate behind the damper is in the correct position. This plate that directs the air flow could have shifted during the moving and installation.

Can you tell a little more about the set up...ie: stove location, chimney set up...etc.etc
Also are you being sure to use good dry wood? If the wood is even the slightest bit moist it will turn my vigilant into a very fussy operating piece of cast iron.

mikepinto65 said:
Can you tell a little more about the set up...ie: stove location, chimney set up...etc.etc
Also are you being sure to use good dry wood? If the wood is even the slightest bit moist it will turn my vigilant into a very fussy operating piece of cast iron.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your response and I will spend more time reading through the other links you provided. I got early this morning and cleaned out the stove. I used the shop vac to first suck out all of the ash I could and then removed the flue collar so I could get to the plate beneath (smoke shelf) and discovered I really didn't know how to remove it? At that point I felt it would be a major rebuild of the stove to remove the top and attempt to get the plate out. So I decided to blow out the area and also vacuum up as much as I could of the ash behind or under the plate. You can imagine how pleased my wife is with the new acquired dust throughout the house. It is Friday and cleaning day so not a big deal.

Regarding our stove setup:

Chimney is a center unit built in 1983, which has two wood stove flues and one for the oil furnace (three separate chimneys). The stove is in our center room and is connected with 8” pipe with one tee and a cap. This permits me to check and clean the pipe from time to time without removing it. All of the pipes are brand new and the chimney was cleaned this fall and I also went ahead last weekend and brushed down the chimney again.

I had the same setup with our Resolute Acclaim. Reason we moved the Acclaim out was the arch assembly and upper and lower fire backs were warped and they were all on back order. Over the years I have replaced the arch assembly about four times and the lower fire back at the same time. I had a friend at VC that could get the parts out the back door at reasonable prices, but now it all goes through a distribution facility so we all have to wait for parts.

As of this morning I have put everything back together and fired up the stove. Right now it is functioning properly so I believe the problem was ash blockage. It is about 11 degrees this morning so the draft is extremely good and the stove is functioning properly.

We also have a Defiant at our mountain three season home and have never had a problem with it, if anything there is just too much heat. On my part I have to learn how to use this stove and build proper fires, not over load, and run moderate to hot fires. And finally keep the ash load down in the stove. It is much easier with the Acclaim and Defiant with the ash pans.

Thanks again for your advice and links.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.