VC Vigilant Primary Airtube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

folderman

Nov 28, 2005
Hello;

I'm in the process of refurbishing a Vermont Castings Vigilant 1 A from the early eighties (glass doors). I enjoy the work, but have a question - on the inside left of this stove and beneath the primary air tube, there is a gap of nearly 1/8" or so, practically all along where this tube "meets" the stove side. I am trying to determine if this is a designed-in gap for intake air or just a gap that has opened up over time (I certainly don't want to close it with refractory cement if in fact it is "key" to proper stove operation). Does anyone know if this air tube is designed to supply air solely through its open end inside the left door? After a lengthy call with a very kind gentleman at Vermont Castings today, and despite his extensive efforts, he was unable to locate an answer for me, as this stove was "before his time". If you could possibly shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, does anyone know of information available to guide us folks who want to refurbish their wood stove(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.