VC Vigilant question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
I just picked up a VC Vigilant pre EPA in really nice shape. It will be replacing a non airtight wood eating pig in my basement workshop. This stove will allow me a single size wood pile versus the 20" and the 30" stacks I currently use.

The stove is located in an area with no combustible concerns of any kind but it came with the heat shield from the prior owner and I'm thinking that mounting one or two muffin fans in the shield might move a little more heat off the stove.

I already use my air filtration unit to move the air around that shop and it obviously has a huge effect on the comfort level downstairs as well as getting heat upstairs when I was to supplement my wood insert in the fire place if I leave the basement door open.

Has anyone done this? Is there any downside?

Generally speaking, there's just no upside. I mean stoves have blowers and they ARE helpful, but hot air really wants to move away from the stove anyway, and going to the trouble of adding fans in this case may not offer any significant advantage. Better by far is the ability to move the already heated air around the house, which it sounds like you have in place now! THAT"S the issue woodburners commonly face: not getting the hot air away from the stove, but to the other end of the building. I'd say maybe apply your skills to the next project on your list whatever that may be.

Happy Heating!

I agree I ran a vigilant for a couple of years and tried fans behind it, or blowing across the top etc. and didn't notice any significant change. I found more of a change when I used ceiling fans to move the heated air around in the room.

keep in mind that you are going from a non-air tight to an air tight so you should get more heat out of the stove too. Not sure what stove you are replacing or how well the basement is insulated. but just changing the stoves should make a noticeable difference.

If you are looking to add heat to the upstairs, heat will follow the path of least resistance, so anything you can do to encourage air flow to the first floor will also help.

Thanks for feedback. I do expect more heat and less wood consumption changing out the stove in the basement. The house is used a couple of weekends a month typically in the winter so my mindset is to burn wood when there allowing the boiler to take a break. The basement walls are insulated with 2" of rigid foam glued to the walls. I did this a few years ago and it made a huge difference in the amount of heat that would build downstairs in the same time frame.

Looks like I'll bag the idea of adding the fan(s). I bought some antique cast iron grates with working dampers that I want to install. This is all a fun project until I gather the funds for a indoor boiler with storage for the RFH anyway. Long term plan is use the stove for shoulder season heating as the RFH really takes a long time to come up to temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.