VC Vigilant: seasoning with Crisco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I've found a few threads on the subject but can't quite figure out the correct process. I'd like to 'blacken' our Vig. I don't want to paint it and would prefer to go 'natural.' So, how does one go about it?

Do I apply the Crisco to a cold stove, then fire it up? Or, start rubbing it into a warm OR hot stove?

Is it necessary to get the stove temp up super high or will, say 450 degrees or so work.

Would it be better to apply a very thin layer at a time? Rub in in good, wipe off the excess, let that cook in, then add another layer?

I'd like to avoid a major smoking event, if possible. I'm thinking a powerful fan sitting near the stove, aimed at the nearest window, with a box fan in the window venting to the outside, should help keep the smoke to a minimum.

Any suggests, advice, or warnings will be appreciated.

Looking forward to my first burn of the season this weekend!

Ken
Bellville TX

I have tried this and it is tough to get an even coating and it will burn off in really hot zones. On my larger stove I use lard, bacon grease and what ever spills over from cooking. The stove on my 2nd floor is painted with 2000 degree black paint and a coat of 2000 degree gloss and the stove looks much nicer. I burnt a fire outside in the stove for a few days to make sure all chemicals were gone. The painted stove looks nicer IMHO. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.