VC vs Jotul insert need help picking out best stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane

May 29, 2008
Boston, MA area
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to all of this and I would really appreciate your input! I have oil heat, and am dreading what this winter has in store. I would like to buy a stove of some sort... wood, winter warmer or pellet stove to provide most of my heat during the winter. Many years ago, I heated my home with an old (narrow) Jotul stove in the basement and a Vermont Castings winter warmer on the main floor. It was great, my home was warm, and I could take care of it myself.

My present home, as I mentioned, is heated with oil. I live just outside of Boston, MA in a colonial built in 1923. Sadly, not an open floor plan and no room for a stove in the basement. The dimensions in my living room fireplace are 42" wide, 28.5" high, 15" deep at the upper aspect of the firebox and 19.5" deep at the lower aspect of the firebox.

I thought I could put another Vermont Castings Winter Warm in the LR fireplace, but after some research, I'm leary of VC. Then I thought perhaps a traditional wood stove would be best. I've heard mixed reviews on the pellets, so I don't know what to do with that one.

The living space is 2400 sf with 2 floors (the LR fireplace is on the first floor).

With all your knowledge and experience, what would be your suggestions for a single female in the above described home?

Thank you and I truly do appreciate your guidance!

Have you looked at the Jotul inserts? It sounds like a C450 would fit in fine.

Any insert with a blower. The larger the firebox the more btus it will kick out and the longer it will heat.

I've heard from misc. sources that VC wasn't (or won't be) reliable, due to 'business issues'... I'm also unable to obtain replacement parts for my VC gas grill, so I have minimal confidence in VC. I've also heard from a reliable source that Jotul was a good option, in respect to inserts. Any info. re: reliability and quality?

I picked a Quadrafire, I like the technology which they provide full details on in literature and web, also like the looks of the 4100-I, which is yet to be installed. Thus, my input is a statement of my purchase decision, not a hands-on report on how well it works.

The Pacific Energy Summit (the big one) also looked very good. I just never got around to looking at one as the nearest dealer was a bit hard to get to. I did look at th Jotul Rockland (and got a price quote) and at the Lopi line... didn't pick any model for further study. Again, we picked the Quadrafire.

Jotul inserts have a strong reputation as heaters, quality stoves and they look great. You might also want to look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale.

I have had two Jotul stoves and like them very much. A free standing woodstove is more efficient than an insert because all 4 sides radiate heat. You can use a blower on either type, but it is not a necessity with the free standing stove. If your fireplace chimney does not have a liner, I would recommend a stainless steal liner vent the woodstove into that.

If coal is available in the Boston area, a stoker coal stove is the least labor solid fuel heater you can buy. Liesure Line, Harmon and Alaskan are three well known and respected brands.

Almost any solid fuel stove you choose will be better than relying on oil, gas or electric heat.

Right now I would think twice before investing big bucks in a Vermont Castings stove. They are in chapter 11 bankruptcy and so far there have been no takers on buying the business. I suspect they will end up continuing business in some way, but having gone belly-up twice in 4 years does not instill confidence.

Jotul is highly regarded and has been around since the 1800's. There are also lots of other good choices which are popular.

As far as wood/pellet, you have to consider your life style and exactly what you want to do with the unit. Pellets are definitely easier - than stacking and seasoning wood and learning how to fiddle. At the same time, pellet stoves have their disadvantages such as noise (blowers), possible reliability issues, etc.

Think carefully about exactly how you intend to use the stove. Are you home all day? Is the stove just for occasional evenings and weekends? Do you relish learning how to wield an axe or splitting maul?

The only Jotul I owned and didn't like was a #1.

Great heater.
Open the door and you were greeted with a puff of smoke.
I swear even in August when there hadn't been a fire in it for three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.