vc winterwarm large - front clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davedrum

Nov 11, 2009
SE Mass
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I recently purchased a VC winterwarm large and have questions regarding how to measure the front and side clearances, specifically to furniture. The manual says that it needs to be 48" away from the front face of the stove, but doesn't say exactly how to measure it. The stove has a built-in surround, so I'm not sure if it should be measured at an angle off of the front face of the door or if it means any part of the front of the stove. The reason I'm asking is that I have a hutch on one side of the stove (24" from the side of the stove) and a corner cabinet on the other side (also 24" away from the stove), both of which I'd rather not have to move. I will if I need to, but wanted to check first.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

dave

Its from the glass for the front and probably the edge of the firebox for the sides.

Thanks. Are these clearances measured at right angles to the stove or do I need to make an arc from the front face of the stove 48" off the side and carry that 48" around to the front? If that makes sense.

Dave

Attached, is a pic of what I'm trying to figure out. Do I need to measure the front clearance as indicated in the pic? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 173
I've got a winter warm large. The fans are located within the outside columns so right angle to the glass is almost always cool. I can touch the sides no problem, bottom is perfectly cool until almost up to the mantle, (it's actually pretty amazing, the glass is like 500 degrees and 6" to the side is cool) mantle is hot but hot to touch, not burning. I know during installation, it required a non-burning material, I used dura-rock, for only 6 to 8" off the side edge of the stove. Check the installation guide for exact number. I think the real issue is potential for sparks and not heat, as a rule 48" sounds about right anywhere. I've had a spark or two shoot out if wood is not perfectly dry and well seasoned. Not sure of the risk on the hinge side. The mantle top is plenty hot on the sides but no real radiant heat onto drywall or surrounding area in the sideways direction. It's all about safety though, 2' just feels kind of tight, maybe 4' to front edge of furniture.

Thanks Phil.

We have nothing in front of the stove. The closest thing is a rug that's 5 ft from the stove. The only thing we have is the furniture on either side of the stove and both pieces only extend from the wall to just about flush with the front of the decorative surround of the stove. Also, the manual says the clearance from side of the stove to trim that extends more than 2" from the fireplace front only needs to be 42" from the center of the hearth and I have 45" to both pieces of furniture. So, I thought I might be okay. It doesn't sound like that, so I'll move the furniture.

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.