Veggie Gardens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
I got the stove in, splitting my own wood. My next step in the self sufficiency ladder is veggie gardens. I was wondering what advice any one would have for a newbie. Id like to do raised beds, but I dont want to buy the timbers, suggestions? Also wondering what sort of substrate I should look into. Ive seen people say all compost, all dirt, whats the best?

Thanks!

Raised beds work fine without any form. What are you starting with for soil? and what do you like to eat?

Id be starting with topsoil which around here is pretty sandy, I have a bunch of compost out in the back that Id like to throw in there.

I eat all sorts of veggies, my wife... not so much.

Id like to grow some peas, carrots, lettuces, i guess just your basics, well see how year 1 goes before I get over board.

Id like to raise it up because we have rabbits all over the place that eat my herbs, no matter how many times my dog almost catches them. One of them was hanging out in the windows of my french doors.... dog almost went through the door to get to it

I was thinking rail road ties?

I have semi-raised beds with no forms. Just push them into shape in the spring. Look up "Lasagna gardening"- the soil will be better, no tilling needed, no ripping up grass required. Save all your shredded leaves for mulch- reduces watering need, mediates soil temps, reduces weeding greatly.

Remmy122 said:
Id be starting with topsoil which around here is pretty sandy, I have a bunch of compost out in the back that Id like to throw in there.

I eat all sorts of veggies, my wife... not so much.

Id like to grow some peas, carrots, lettuces, i guess just your basics, well see how year 1 goes before I get over board.

Id like to raise it up because we have rabbits all over the place that eat my herbs, no matter how many times my dog almost catches them. One of them was hanging out in the windows of my french doors.... dog almost went through the door to get to it

I was thinking rail road ties?

Since my wife started working in our local school, we are also talking about our first garden and doing raised beds (since she'll be home all summer). Your thought of rail road ties is interesting, but correct me if I'm wrong - but I've been told those have a lot of chemicals in them (treated lumber) that you wouldn't want seeping into your soil/veggies?

I've had rabbits jump up almost 3 feet to get through a tiny hole in a fence.
snow prints don't lie

I have mostly hilled rows with lawn in between the rows.
saves a lot of tilling - have to pull a bit of quack grass every year - luckily not too much.

I've been lucky due to a rabies outbreak and coyotes we haven't had any rabbits, skunks or raccoons for the last few years.
Last year I had a rabbit with 10 young ones in a compost pile and one of the plots will need a fence again if they all make a come back.

indiana4spartans said:
Your thought of rail road ties is interesting, but correct me if I'm wrong - but I've been told those have a lot of chemicals in them (treated lumber) that you wouldn't want seeping into your soil/veggies?

this was my concern. Part of the reason Im intrested in a garden is to get the veggies with out all the chemicals, and was hoping some around here would know.

The enticing thing about them is that I can get them (alot of them) for a great price (free!) as our railroads around here and replacing a ton of ties that arent really damaged, atleast not bad enough for a garden wall.

Im sure the rabbits will get to it if they really want them, but I was hoping it would discourage it atleast. That and I live in town and worried about the neighbors. The raised beds seem to have a cleaner look to them to me. My wood stacks are done in a manner to please the neighbors (basically a privacy fence made of firewood) and would like the garden to as well.

some thing like this is what I was thinking about, but didnt know if this is something I need to get going now (planting seeds indoors NOW, special considerations I need to take). Thats really what I was shooting for in this thread, what needs to be done this weekend. Temps are already in the 70*s and I feel like if I want to start this year its time to get moving

Attachments

• 898CAJME95QCAC0H3KHCAHSDTEVCA8AI8QZCA3EYDU6CAMCB09GCAX2JUPOCAJPSVJSCAF5O5G1CA559YH9CAECMQD4CA7D190MC
    3.8 KB · Views: 303
With temps in the 70's you might be able to plant peas and lettuce now outside. It's 20 here and my onions are about 4" inside of course. Carrots are a challange because they take so long and aren't competetive like some crops, just so you're warned.

I wouldn't touch anything grown near rr ties, or the rubarb that grows around a power pole that was on my place. Way too many bad things (penta, pcbs, creosote etc.) went into that brew years ago when these ties and poles were treated.

I can't help with the rabbits especially if the dog isn't working and .22/snares/poison is off the table.

Definitely go with as much compost as you can get your hands on. I'd be reluctant to go with raised beds with sandy soil because it's too much work to keep everything watered, at least don't go too high.

Just make sure you don't put anything tender out before your last frost date. Ours seems to be about April 15.

For raised bed timbers I saw a posting on a gardening forum about going to apartment complexes and raiding the dumpsters for bed rails. You can also use brick or block, or even pour concrete. A lot of people use pressure treated wood and just stay some distance from the edges, but that's not appealing to me.

Mix a lot of well digested compost into your sand and you should have great, really well drained soil. But that means you'll need to water it often.

Remmy122 said:
Also wondering what sort of substrate I should look into. Ive seen people say all compost, all dirt, whats the best?

Thanks!

Before I made boxed in beds, I raised the soil, packed the sides firm, filled the center with compost.
All compost/All soil which is best? : Best is : What you have (I mix together some soil & compost for better water retentions for my conditions)

Attachments

• 5144_garden_ovrvew_3_1.jpg
    5144_garden_ovrvew_3_1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 5144_grdn_ovrvw_4_1.jpg
    5144_grdn_ovrvw_4_1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 291
Im thinking about waiting until next year to get the garden going and continuing to get my wood pile stacked to get more than the 1 year ahead that I am right now.

Im mostly worried about getting the plants started from seed. any suggestions there? should I start now inside?

I saw on another web page where some one used the wood from pallets to make raised beds, Im thinking this may be my option as I have a constant supply of pallets at the end of the neighborhood.

Well see...

How about using Cedar for the raised beds? Isn't it naturally resist to decay and insects? Without all the chemicals also.

I use 2x10s made from simple SPF found at the local box store. It will last quite a long time. As for fill, with sandy soil it is best to add organic matter like compost or aged manure to aid in holding water. If you don't think you have enough to build up all at once, put a fence of chicken wire around the garden. Make sure the bottom is curved out from the actual fence to keep rabbits and such from digging under it.

I'd stay away from treated lumber of any kind. I've seen people swear up and down it doesn't make a difference, but I'd rather replace a few boards every 10 years than take a chance.

As for what veggies to grow, obviously grow veggies you will eat, but also look into growing the more expensive veggies. Maybe put in an asperagus bed for spring asperagus (put in this year for next years crop). Tomatoes and peppers aren't cheap around here. Pole beans will give you an incredible yield for the amount of space they take up. Sandy soil may be good for ginger IIRC? You can always trade with neighbors if they garden and that always expands what you can get. Oh, since you are planning, think about future years and rotating crops to keep insects down. The tomato family (Think tomato, eggplant, potato and peppers) and the squash family are prone to critters setting up shop in soil.

Matt

Remmy122 said:
Im thinking about waiting until next year to get the garden going and continuing to get my wood pile stacked to get more than the 1 year ahead that I am right now.

Im mostly worried about getting the plants started from seed. any suggestions there? should I start now inside?

I saw on another web page where some one used the wood from pallets to make raised beds, Im thinking this may be my option as I have a constant supply of pallets at the end of the neighborhood.

Well see...

Like said before you could probably get some in right now. Up here St Patricks day is the day for planting peas... all cold weather stuff can go in real quick here. you are at the mercy of the rain though.

I use cheap 2x4s for raised beds.. I get a couple 3 years from them and then replace them. You can find them on markdown carts at the local stores just about every day.

My garden is a living thing it is alway taking new shapes.

You can see a couple in the back ground of this pic. Green beans and chard.

I used an old water bed for a garden bed you can see it off to the left.

point is be creative and you can use about anything.

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.