Veggie Oil For Chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSC has steadily gone downhill in our area. I have 4 near me and I won't buy anything unless it's at half price otherwise it's overpriced. If you go there Friday when the sale starts they tell you the sale item has not arrived on the truck yet. If you go Sat., they tell you it is sold out. Constant turnover of staff at all the stores probably due to so many people like me who b*tch so much!!!
The trouble is that they carry a lot of stuff that you can't buy elsewhere without paying too much for shipping.

My store is really great. But they do carry a lot of Harbor Freight type crap along with better quality items. Cant beat their stuff on sale usually.

Reactions: TreePointer
I personally use motor oil. Have to get rid of the stuff somehow after it was used in my truck :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Omaha419
I read a story that the chain oil we use is banned in some countries and CA. It is replaced by mostly veg oil plus a substance added for tackiness. That substance has its own warnings. In Germany they have over 80 brands of it.

Today I tried pure non toxic canola oil in my electric saw. It seems to work fine. After a few times I will try it in my gas saw.

The rest of the world is ahead of us. Why use petroleum based oil that creates a toxic mist to breathe in.

You are all joking...right ? !!!
That saw is worth how much ?
As long as the lubrication does it's job, I can't see how it could ruin a chainsaw. If breathing in chain oil was toxic, a lot of members of this form would be dead!

Reactions: saskwoodburner
You are all joking...right ? !!!
That saw is worth how much ?
Even if they aren't, the manual on any modern saw will say explicitly NOT to use used motor oil. Once again, a gallon of bar oil costs $11. If that is to much money to spend on running your $950 saw correctly, it might be time to hang the saw up and just buy your firewood.

Reactions: Hasufel and DUMF
hell i find bar oil for 6.99 a gallon at my local farm stores. don't be cheap, the stuff is already cheap!

Speaking of 2 stroke smell. Anyone run Blendzall castor oil in their saw? Used to love the smell of that stuff.

i run it in my 4 stroke race motors. It's good for top end lube and performance even on a 4 stroke. The gold label is what i use.

As long as the lubrication does it's job, I can't see how it could ruin a chainsaw. If breathing in chain oil was toxic, a lot of members of this form would be dead!
It doesn't do the chainsaw oil job. Think stickiness, viscosity.....and, boys and girls, the values of your tools.
Hey, maybe some are already dead (). Ain't anything to do with toxic or you would be cutting by hand. ;em

As long as the lubrication does it's job, I can't see how it could ruin a chainsaw.

That's all good and well, but I think I'm just gonna get opinions from people who haven't tried it, but think their opinion is somehow more valid than those who have.;)

The bar oil is probably used motor oil with a little marketing added lol

The bar oil is probably used motor oil with a little marketing added lol
No and no. And no.
No conspiracy of "corporate America" boys and girls. Search the manufacturer sites and go among the professional chainsaw users: chainsaw oil is FOR chainsaws, and yes with an additive so that it STICKS to the $#&%@ bar and chain. What's this "marketing" B.S. ?
JazzB go to the corner for a timeout. ==c
Hey, for the gourmonds among you why not try Extra Virgin Olive Oil ? Boy would that smell nice on an oak.

Ha ha
How long do I gotta stay in the corner?
Obviously the Olive Oil Marketing Team haven't targeted you yet cause I have heard of some using it.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
[QUOTE="DUMF, post: 2051926, member: 50013"
Hey, for the gourmonds among you why not try Extra Virgin Olive Oil ? Boy would that smell nice on an oak.[/QUOTE]
You picked the wrong thing to compare. I know a fair bit about olive oil and an industry expert says, "70% of the extra virgin olive oil sold is adulterated". link http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extravirgin-olive-oil-fake/
The bottom line is the only a lab can tell the difference. It's proven time and again that experts can't.

You are giving way too much credit to the oil industry for honesty. The last few jugs of bar oil I bought at TSC I would bet are recycled oil. They even smell different from the normal stuff. Do you know of any laws that prevent selling recycled oil for chainsaws? I don't. One of the jugs was brown oil, not red. I saw that and read the label again - yup, Poulon chainsaw bar oil.

In short, used whatever greases your bar.

Proof, we need first hand proof not "bet" or "I heard" or "maybe" or "it's a fact". Proof.
I grease my bar with bonifide bar and chain oil. That is what my Stihl and Husky manuals tell me to do. I do follow orders.
Now if one of you will purchase that Extra Virgin Olive Oil imported from Palermo, I will try it.
Please send c/o Senator Sanders :cool:
P.S. Some B/C oils are red, some black, some brown; no standard color ( sorry, "colour" )

I think you all are onto something with olive oil. Plant olive trees, press the olives for their oil, and then use it in chainsaws cut them down. Genius!

Reactions: Jazzberry
I do follow orders
Probably that's why I don't read manuals. If I did, I would never do what it says anyway. Canadians are a damn bunch of crazies. :eek::eek::eek:

It seems that the countries using veggie oil consider canola to be the best. It is hard to believe that stihl manuals say to use only petroleum based oil since I held in my hand a bottle of veggie bar and chain oil made by stihl at a store that sells stihl chainsaws. Common sense says that breathing in petroleum mist is bad for you. It may take a while for it to assert itself.

i run it in my 4 stroke race motors. It's good for top end lube and performance even on a 4 stroke. The gold label is what i use.

Ya Gold Label was the stuff. It was like 3 times the price of other 2 stroke race oil. Brings to mind several scars, a limp and a lot of fun back in the day. Does it put out that same killer smell as the two strokes? When you say top end lube I figure your putting a little in the gas?

It seems that the countries using veggie oil consider canola to be the best. It is hard to believe that stihl manuals say to use only petroleum based oil since I held in my hand a bottle of veggie bar and chain oil made by stihl at a store that sells stihl chainsaws. Common sense says that breathing in petroleum mist is bad for you. It may take a while for it to assert itself.

Warning: Do not use any petroleum products. ;em

While we were on this topic I'd like to ask. Is all bar oil equal? The cheap stuff I get for $6-8/gallon.....is it still good or will it cause chain stretch or excessive heat? I've heard some guys say that about the cheaper bar oil and they say stihl bar oil only. We all know everything stihl is pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.