Veggie vs Canola Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When we are milling I use the Veggie Oil in the Aux. Oiler on the ACM, I run the Canola in the 660 for bar oil. I was thinking of using the veggie oil this winter but even in the garage it thickens up with the temps in the 20's and the canola stays the same.

The Veggie Oil is on the Left.

I had the veggie oil in the back of the rhino a couple of weeks ago when I noticed this, I still think the oil compartment would warm up enough to thin out the veggie.

Anybody in the colder states run veggie during the winter? Both the veggie & canola oil are made by Wesson.

Attachments

• 100_4564.jpg
    100_4564.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 312
Looks like canola better for winter......

I had a 5 gallon container sitting outside in pretty cold weather and it didn't gel at all. Stayed clear and thin, so I think it is a good winter oil. Just keep the saw clean, it can build up and oxidize into a gooey mess in time. Had some chains practically glued to the rails after about a month of not running my electric saw. Cleaned right up, but it was hard enough so the motor wouldn't spin the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.