Vent Brush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not buy a Rutland brand brush, it is a waste of money. The flexible handle is way too weak and flimsy.

51ONIsXIb1L._SY300_.jpg

Do not buy a Rutland brand brush, it is a waste of money. The flexible handle is way too weak and flimsy.

51ONIsXIb1L._SY300_.jpg
Interesting - I have one (came with a stove) and works well for me on the Harman. Of course it just has a 45 to a long straight to another 45, so nothing challenging. It also goes by my ESP easily when snaking it from the inside.

Haven't tried it for the upstairs stove yet, which has two 90's and short straights. I'll be trying it in a couple of weeks and may find I need something else. but then again, maybe I'll just whip out the old leaf blower and get most of the crud that way.

+1 on the linteater

Reactions: reallyte

51ONIsXIb1L._SY300_.jpg
I didn't care for the Rutland at first but have found as long as I keep it spinning in the drill it works fine. And I'm going up with 30ft worth of rods ( bottom up).. Also I gave the brush a little hair cut. My liner is 4" and the 4" brush fit pretty tight so I loosened the fit a little.. But when I clean my liner the first thing I have to do is make a 90 deg turn into the clean out down near the floor and the Rutland rods are flexible enough to do that. I just work with it, it does the job.

Look around at various stores and online for dryer vent brushes too. There are many 3 or 4 inch brushes out there depending on you vent pipe size. I found a deal that cost $8.00 and works awesome at a small local off brand hardware store. CHA-CHING! Amazingly there are a few left. The brush head is way better than what comes on the Rutland for $20 bucks too. The 2 brush kit also came with a long handled soft tapered brush that is perfect for doing my probe and other places as needed.

Look around at various stores and online for dryer vent brushes too. There are many 3 or 4 inch brushes out there depending on you vent pipe size. I found a deal that cost $8.00 and works awesome at a small local off brand hardware store. CHA-CHING! Amazingly there are a few left. The brush head is way better than what comes on the Rutland for $20 bucks too. The 2 brush kit also came with a long handled soft tapered brush that is perfect for doing my probe and other places as needed.
I use the Rutland but I do it by hand and not the drill....
less chance of coming apart..

I use the Rutland but I do it by hand and not the drill....
less chance of coming apart..
Coming apart would make for a very bad day with 26 ft of continuous liner.. My Milwaukee drill reverse switch is fairly up out of the way though. But ya good reminder, Never reverse the drill while brushing the venting out.

i reiterate, tape the joints!

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.