Vent Cap Question on New Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoosanMan

Nov 29, 2014
NE Kansas
Good Evening, like my other thread said, the dealer just sold me the stove and really had no advice on the install so I am doing it myself. I had gas line already from an old ventless stove nearby. He sold me the vent pipe parts too. Ordered me what I needed. Anyway, I have a 46DVA-HSC Vent Cap. See photos. I also have a 46DVA-WT thimble which I am using a for inside. Do I use the thimble and the vent cap on the outside? Just the vent cap? They do slide together nice. I have wood siding. How do I make the vent cap fit with the siding? Will I cut hole the size of the vent cap? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20161103_212444.jpg
    IMG_20161103_212444.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20161103_212505.jpg
    IMG_20161103_212505.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 155
Good Evening, like my other thread said, the dealer just sold me the stove and really had no advice on the install so I am doing it myself. I had gas line already from an old ventless stove nearby. He sold me the vent pipe parts too. Ordered me what I needed. Anyway, I have a 46DVA-HSC Vent Cap. See photos. I also have a 46DVA-WT thimble which I am using a for inside. Do I use the thimble and the vent cap on the outside? Just the vent cap? They do slide together nice. I have wood siding. How do I make the vent cap fit with the siding? Will I cut hole the size of the vent cap? Thanks!

Use the wall thimble on both the inside & outside walls. If you need it, there is a wall thimble cover painted black for the inside as a finish trim piece, but since gas fireplace venting is usually hidden, you probably won't use it. As for the outside there are a couple of issues with wood siding. First, the wall thimble is usually smaller than the cap, so if you only cut the siding for the thimble, the cap won't fit in it, & it'll have to be enlarged. Secondly, don't cut the venting hole TOO large, because you will need sheathing (or drywall or framing) to screw the thimble cover(s) to. To get the required clearance to the thimble, I believe the instruction call for a 9" diameter hole. If you layout and cut an OCTAGON that measures 9" across the flats, you will achieve your clearances & leave yourself screw attachment material for the thimble. Also, if you cut your outside hole LARGER than the cap, & use pressure treated lumber to make a picture frame, that will neaten up your install & give you attachment points for the cap. Just make sure the frame maintains the clearance to the actual vent pipe.
After everything has been installed, run a bead of exterior silicone around the cap where it meets the siding (or framing), on the top & both sides.
Don't caulk the bottom. That will allow for any moisture to run out if it DOES manage to get behind the cap. Run a bead between the interior thimble & the gas vent as well to prevent cold air penetration.
Hope this make sense to you.

Ok, thanks, not sure I understand the octagon part. However the thimble has a rectangular flange. So I am going to cut a hole for it to fit and then screw the end cap right to the wood siding hopefully. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.