Vent/Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsuiker

Mar 26, 2013
NoVA
Hey all, hope everyone is holding out through this long winter...

I'm new to the forum and am planning a gasification boiler install before next winter. I'm living with the 'rents since I'm of the boomerang generation and umemployed. My parents are sick of heating the house with a heat pump and are excited about the idea of gasification. However, I'm running into a bit of frustration with placing the unit and storage tanks. At the moment Dad and I are finishing out the basement and we hope to put everything there. The problem is that the house is really tall and we don't want to empty the bank just installing a chimney pipe all the way to the roof.

I've been digging around in building codes and it seems that a mechanically vented appliance like a boiler is permitted to have a horizontally terminated vent. In other words, we could just pop out the side of the house with the vent and be done with it. For some reason, this doesn't sit well with my intuition considering that gassers pump out 300-500*F exhaust.

Can anyone point in me the right direction with this problem? Any input is appreciated, especially if you've got examples of doing something similar.

Jonathan

Garns can vent either vertically or horizontally. Aside from that, I think you'll need a chimney - and I think for drafting reasons also. Some oil boilers can be direct vented.

Status
Not open for further replies.