Vent Clearance Issue. What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
Need advice. This is 4 inch duravent which requires 1 ' clearance to combustibles. When going through my foundation I hit 2 pieces of rebar which I did not want to cut. So as a result this is where my vent ended up. I've got a hare more than 3/4 inch clearance from pipe to the siding outside. Behind the siding is an inch of concrete then my wall base 2by4. At this point the vent piping run it is 6 feet up and about 2 feet horizontal downstream from stove. Not sure how hot this will actually get outside? Should I use a dremel and carve out a half inch of siding? I dont want to but I also want to sleep at night not worrying about it.

*note* the steel bracket is just a brace for the piping untill I mortar the whole back. Probally dont need it there.

Attachments

• 2012-03-05_16-16-18_380.jpg
    2012-03-05_16-16-18_380.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 482
  • vent2.jpg
    vent2.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 502
  • vent1.jpg
    vent1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 469
DV said:
Need advice. This is 4 inch duravent which requires 1 ' clearance to combustibles. When going through my foundation I hit 2 pieces of rebar which I did not want to cut. So as a result this is where my vent ended up. I've got a hare more than 3/4 inch clearance from pipe to the siding outside. Behind the siding is an inch of concrete then my wall base 2by4. At this point the vent piping run it is 6 feet up and about 2 feet horizontal downstream from stove. Not sure how hot this will actually get outside? Should I use a dremel and carve out a half inch of siding? I dont want to but I also want to sleep at night not worrying about it.

*note* the steel bracket is just a brace for the piping untill I mortar the whole back. Probally dont need it there.

You may not want to read this, but you asked the question, so I would rent a sawzall with a metal cutting blade, and cut the rebar out. I would then chip the concrete to lower the hole for proper clearance.

For visual purposes here is a sawzall:
http://woodworker.com/sawzall-varia..._medium=feed&gclid=CKuY5dfR1a4CFeURNAodLnnodw

Then I could sleep at night, no offense intended, but I'm too light a sleeper, so I try to eliminate anything that bothers me. ;-)

1D

Im sure there is a little more concrete behind that siding?? You could just round cut like you said (1" is 1"). Or I.would square cut it, giving yourself a little more room and use J-channel to dress it up.

This is, if there is 1" of concrete above the top of the hole you cut. The siding on my house covers more than a inch of the block.

If its less than 1" of block, then I would cut the rebar. But the siding would be my 1st option. Cut the siding up an inch or two and then across the top about 6", then add channel.

[====]
O

My 2 cents, for the small fraction of an inch, that you are short, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom C.

I'd sleep just fine the way it is, but, to insurance companies an inch is an inch (more likely an inch and a half) >:-( If you have an inch or more of concrete to your rim joist behind the siding I'd trim the siding back.

silverfox103 said:
My 2 cents, for the small fraction of an inch, that you are short, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom C.

I agree.

To poster 1Dtml.....on a side note.......there are people in the world that don't know what a SawZall is?????????? :gulp: Wow.

So am I too detailed, too helpful, too long winded, or do I worry too much?

Now that I read this probably all of the above. :zip:

1D

1Dtml said:

1D

Keep right on being that way, it may save you or someone else.

SmokeyTheBear said:
1Dtml said:

1D

Keep right on being that way, it may save you or someone else.

Thank you so much for the kind words, but it's all good. :coolsmile:

1D

Cut the rebar! That way there are no worries with insurance or melted siding. The missing rebar won'd mean a thing. Use a trim collar to hide the 'ooops' or fill it in with concrete. (grease up the pipe)

tjnamtiw said:
Cut the rebar! That way there are no worries with insurance or melted siding. The missing rebar won'd mean a thing. Use a trim collar to hide the 'ooops' or fill it in with concrete. (grease up the pipe)

+1

Thanks for the advice. Got a little more work to do.

add a heat shield, centered between the pipe and siding
creating a half inch air gap both sides
also I can hold the pipe inside the house with my stove running
does not get as hot as you might think

What I would do is to check your clearance requirements. Most pellet vent has AT LEAST
a 3" clearance to combustibles, & I believe 4" pellet vent has a 4" clearance requirement.

DAKSY said:
What I would do is to check your clearance requirements. Most pellet vent has AT LEAST
a 3" clearance to combustibles, & I believe 4" pellet vent has a 4" clearance requirement.

1" Clearance to Combustibles on Pellet Vent Pro.

DexterDay said:
DAKSY said:

Learn sumthin new every day!

Yup, live and learn, and I hope to do both for a long while yet.
;-)

1D

DAKSY said:
DexterDay said:
DAKSY said:

Learn sumthin new every day!
You made me nervous for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.