Vent for a room right above my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
My whole house is heated just fine with the stove...except for the room right above the stove which is my 1.5yr old son's room. We think the reason that heat isn't getting through is 1) Because we close the door so he can sleep. and 2) Because the ceiling may have some insulation or something similar due to the radiant heat coils in the living room (stove room) ceiling.

I'd like to cut a hole in the ceiling/floor, put a grate, and allow the heat to just rise right through.

I know I've seen someone mention this vent with a fan attached to it that would do the job the best. I need something effective with a PLUG, batteries are a PITA and useless as far as I'm concerned.

Please share any suggestions. Thanks!!

-Emt1581

That is usually against fire code. Leaving that door open is the best way unless you put in a separate heater for that room. He will learn how to sleep the same as you do. Young children can do much more than we sometimes give them credit for.

That is usually against fire code. Leaving that door open is the best way unless you put in a separate heater for that room. He will learn how to sleep the same as you do. Young children can do much more than we sometimes give them credit for.

Yeah after looking around today I think we'll go the space heater route for now. In the future I think leaving his door open an inch or two at the least is how we'll go.

Thanks

-Emt1581

That's a better plan. Cutting the hole above the stove is against code, and it would expose that room first if there was a fire near the stove. Also, if there is radiant heat in the ceiling do you really want to cut a hole in it and risk damaging the system?

Get a safe heater that can't burn the child and is either very hard to tip over or with a tip-over switch safety circuit. It doesn't need to be high wattage. Or just leave the door open. Our kids grew up with theirs open and slept well.

That's a better plan. Cutting the hole above the stove is against code, and it would expose that room first if there was a fire near the stove. Also, if there is radiant heat in the ceiling do you really want to cut a hole in it and risk damaging the system?

Get a safe heater that can't burn the child and is either very hard to tip over or with a tip-over switch safety circuit. It doesn't need to be high wattage. Or just leave the door open. Our kids grew up with theirs open and slept well.

Good point about the fire going through.

As far as the radiant heat it is horrible. Your head gets warm and everything else is freezing. Plus when we ran it in only 3 rooms it cost us $600+ in our electric bill....so our stove paid for itself the first season!!

We put a thermostatically controlled space heater in there tonight. I let him play with it while I was sitting with him and he learned the "ouch that's hot" lesson tonight (it wasn't really hot, just warm enough for him to notice the temp. difference). Not sure if he'll retain it.

Right now we have a 6 panel baby gate thing all around our stove to protect him from burning himself at such a young age. I know kids learn but we only have a 2" hearth pad and it wouldn't take much for him to trip and fly into the stove.

Thanks for the replies. Begreen feel free to delete or lock it up if need be.

-Emt1581

If the hallway outside the kid's room gets heat from the woodstove, you could put a 4" hole in BR wall up high, with a small plugin fan on it, and make sure the door is undercut enough to permit the small flow of cooler return air out of the room.

We similarly had a cold kids room because the door was shut. We used a space heater that had a built in temperature guage (60/65/70/75/80/85). We would set it at 75 while they were getting ready for bed (bath, teeth, reading) and then once they were asleep and we were heading to bed, we opened their door half way. It worked perfect for us, and the space heater cost little to run and purchase. Now they are older, we don't even need the space heater since they love jumping into a cool bed and covering themselves in blankets and stuffed animals.

EMT, IMHO, leave the door open. Our kids are older than yours but when they were that age we left the doors open so that they would hear noises. We wanted them to get used to the sounds and learn to sleep through them.Again IMO, it has made it a lot easier now that they are older and are able to sleep without your typical household noises disturbing them. Hell, I can crank the surround sound system when my wife & I are watching something without disturbing them, now that is nice.

I would recommend a nice oil filled space heater for his room if you want to keep the door shut. We have a Delonghi with thermostat and it works well in our basement, so I'm sure that it would do a great job in his room. It wasn't to expensive either, I think @$70 at Depot.

try looking on craigslist...may get it for half the price :)

we bought a couple space heaters, like new...three for the price of one.

course, i will not buy anything new unless i exhausted CL for at least a couple weeks...wife keeps calling me cheap, but I figure it allows me twice as much buying power to buy more toys!

emt already bought a heater. closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.