Q&A Vent-Free Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have recently begun to check into gas logs for an existing masonry fireplace- and as I do not have natural gas- propane is my answer of choice.I want them to take the chill off an occupied family room (not sleeping quarters) of approximately 300 sq ft.I have tried the local distributors- and have received as many opinions as dealers. Some say unvented- some vented- some say "no problems- best thing since sliced bread...". Some say "...but they never tell you the down side!"The other- and I think- most troublesome issue is condensation. I am being told by one local distributor that the unvented models will deposit as much as 1 gals per hour of condensate water into my attic. Expect ruined insulation- wallboard- etc..I think I prefer the partially vented models anyway- simply because my wife is particularly sensitive to the smell. However- some vendors tell me that I CANNOT vent the unvented models. If you are sensitive- then you may want to stay away from unvented The Vent-Free CAN be used with the damper opened or closed.

Answer:

Unvented are the only thing that will produce HEAT- vented are just for looks....Another option- which costs more $$ but solves all the problems- are vented gas inserts...sealed and vented and lots of HEAT. As far as condensation- if you are going to use vent-free 1-4 hours per day- there should be no problem.
If your wife or anyone in the family is very sensitive to odors, I would suggest looking into an insert or other vented appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.