Vent in Fireplace Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBOut

Nov 20, 2014
Massachusetts
I have a vent in my fire place floor, there is a metal grate that opens and shuts that i can remove. The size of the vent is about the size of a brick. Should i fill this in before installing the stove insert? It looks like the insert will only cover it partially. The hole runs into the basement, to a small door in the basement wall, clean out door for ash?

I believe you are talking about the outside air. Connect it to your new stove, it will bring in combustion air without having to draw it out of your house.

My installers ran an extension cord down the clean out to the basement. That way they could plug in the fan and there would be no wires coming out of the insert upstairs.

Last edited:
Sounds like an ash cleanout. If so, you don't need to do anything to it before installing the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.