vent install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmac

Mar 14, 2008
central NJ
I am installing an Englander 25 with a Dura vent flue kit. On the outside of the house, do I cut the siding around the square thimble, or do I screw the thimble over the vinyl siding and seal with silicone? Thanks for your help.

They should offer a vinyl stand-off kit. We got lucky here, we were having the vinyl siding done on the building. So we cut our holes and sealed everything up. Then the guys just went around the thimbles and cleaned them up real nice.

I put mine outside the siding, and placed under the lip, and put silicone all around and screwed it to the wall, Just maintain your clearance or better.

Stupid question? How big does the hole have to be around the pipe. if I use a 3" vent pipe and cut the hole in the wall how big does the hole have to be?

Thanks shawn

If you look at your thimble it will tell you what clerance is required, mine was a 3" vent pipe with the thimble it was a min of a 7/12" hole I made mine about 9".

the flanges on the thimble covers everthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.