vent pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angler2184

Dec 17, 2011
OCMD
I am looking to adjust the angle on the stove so it blows more out into a hallway in my house. Right now I have it vented straight out and up. I tried a 45 degree, but that is too much of angle. Do they make anything smaller? Would it be possible to put two alternating 45s to essentially shift the stove over another foot? Thanks

You want to watch your EVL, every elbow adds to the count. It would also probably make it harder to clean the venting, depends on your setup. Maybe a small fan would work?

You don't mention what brand of PV you're using, but Simpson used to offer an adjustable 90 that you could rotate to get different angles out of. Gotta use tape on it, tho, as it leaks like crazy...

if you were using the ICC excell pipe, you could use a "T", and a 90 deg and rotate the intersection to any angle you like...they have no "twist-lock" mechanism.

Reactions: DAKSY
If its Simpson Pellet vent Pro, it can go one of 4 ways. Disconnect vent at 90°, turn stove, reconnect (twist), press start?

My Englander is installed with Pellet vent in a corner, I have an Adapter, Clean out T, 5' Vert, Clean-out T, 4' horizontal. No 45° needed?

I dont see the need for a 45°?

Any pics to help explain?

2012-04-14_17-25-43_513.jpg

I am using 3in Simpson duravent. I go from the stove straight outside to a tee, then up 3 ft to a 90 and vent. I am heating 2 levels about 2000sq ft total. The stove does a good job, but I think i can get more air out of the stove room and up the stairwell to the 2nd floor. The 1st floor is usually in the mid 70s and the 2nd floor 65-70.

IMAG0980.jpg IMAG0979.jpg

You don't mention what brand of PV you're using, but Simpson used to offer an adjustable 90 that you could rotate to get different angles out of. Gotta use tape on it, tho, as it leaks like crazy...

I looked for an adjustable 90, but did not find one....

if you were using the ICC excell pipe, you could use a "T", and a 90 deg and rotate the intersection to any angle you like...they have no "twist-lock" mechanism.

I dont have the icc pipe, but could i use a T horizantially than but a 90 to the back of the stove? This would give me the shift of about 1ft to point the stove out the door.

I would avoid adding any more bends in the exhaust pipe.

As mentioned, the possibility of a little fan might be a great idea.

The natural tendency of warm air to rise (up the stair well) is going to happen anyway, even without aiming the stove at the stair well.

I would not mess with the stove, as I dont see any real gain to be had.

Adding a tiny fan near the ceiling right over the entance to the stair well would possibly help the air flow, and this will be far less troublesome than fiddling with the flu on the stove.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.