Vent Pipe Temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

Feb 7, 2007
NYC
I need to seal my inside joints with tape, see a little smoke on startup. How hot does 3 inch double wall pipe get? Tape I have is good till 250 deg F.

I have no idea how hot it actually gets. I do however know a way to find out, or atleast find out if its getting 250 degrees hot. Go to your local welding supply store, I prefer you go to an Airgas store, but any welding supply store will do. They sell temp sticks. These are made by a company called Tempil. The basic jist is, they are like a crayon, but are rated to individual temperatures. Get yourself a 250 degree one, run your stove like you normally would for a few hours and try to write on your vent pipe with the temp stick.....if it melts its hotter than 250 deg. Fairly simple solution to your question, plus you get to try something new (most likely)

errrchhh.

Hey instead of using tape on the vent pipe, why don't you just go to an auto parts store and buy the high temp black silicon? That is also what a lot of stove manuals say to use on every joint of the vent pipe. That stuff is made for engine blocks and some are good to 800 degrees f.

It is probably as cheap or cheaper than the tape and looks better and is better.

As for the temp you could also purchase a cheap digital IR thermometer which is good for other things as well.

cycloptic pendulum said:
ive used al foil tape with success

Same here Aluminum foil tape works fine. The stuff I used was from Ace hardware and rated for 250º.

Should be available from any local hardware store. I used a cheap wood stove temp gauge. Magnetic. Mine was under 160º.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.