Vent pipe through a block wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

driftbuster

Sep 14, 2010
sw Pa
I will be going through a concrete block wall and space is very limited from from thr corner of the house and existing chimney. Is a thimble necessary? I don't have the room and was hoping i could go through the wall and cement up to the vent pipe. Any suggestions? I searched 12 pages and didn't find the answer. Thanks

Check that one with your local building dept. Obviously the wall will not burn.

The Building dept may have a requirement though.

If you can cut a nice smooth hole, I dont see why it would not be fine, BUTTTTTTTTTT

The locals can tell you right up front.

Snowy

Yes, it could not hurt to check your local codes just in case.

My thinking is at worst your pipe is rated for 3" clearance from any combustibles. So unless you are that close to your sill plate, the answer is, no, you should not need a thimble.

In my case, I was the second block row down from the top, using 1" clearance Excel pipe, and my codes department said follow what the manufacturer says.

Status
Not open for further replies.