Vent pipe ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbgx2

Jan 19, 2008
north,GA
Hi folks please help if you can I am going through the poured wall of my basement starting at the heater I have an adapter then a clean out T then I have 7ft of pipe then a 90 elbow then a 1ft piece to get through the wall .Because it is not 3ft off the ground Imust use another 90 to turn up and then 1 more to put the cap on . my ?? is because of the 15% loss of draft for each 90 how high vertical should I go up ?? Sorry to be so lenghthy but please help. THANKS.

Hi, welcome to the boards!

What kind of stove is it and what size pipe are you using?

I was hoping one of the guys would jump in and answer this for you since I'm no expert. I sounds to me like you'll be pushing the limits of a 3" pipe with this install.

BUMP!! Hey guys! Wake up! :cheese:

Read the manual... it should be laid out in a vent table.

I'm no expert either, but I have the same stove you do. If I remember correctly, the manual says that if you're going to use more than 15 ft of pipe, you need to bump up to 4" diameter. Same holds true if you're making more than a 4ft horizontal run... I think. From what you posted above, I don't think you have any 4' horizontal runs, but it looks like you're close to the 15' max for 3" pipe runs. Double check your manual to be sure, it lays it out right there in black and white. If you're still totally unsure, call Mike and his crew at England Stove Works and they will be able to tell you for sure. Their # is in the user manual for the stove.

Thanks guys for your input as it turns out I just put a 90 to get out side then a 90 to turn up and then a 45 w/the cap . now the prob is I think I need to go with a 3inch fresh air intake but cant get it to clamp on to the piece that mounts to the wall or the stove any ideas? THANKS.

Kart, not sure what kind of pipe you are using for the fresh air but you might want to look in the metal duct section at Lowe's or Home Depot. You might also want to look in the section for dryer vents. I honestly don't know if anyone makes an adapter to take the outlet from a 2" to a 3" but since you can use just about any kind of metal pipe I think you can likely find something to do the job. Maybe in the plumbing section?

Well I was thinking of using 3inch flex pipe. but thinking like you going to try to find hard metal for the attatch to the house the only thing is all I have seen so far in dryer stuff has a cover over the hole that flap out when the dryer is running . this hole should be open all the time am I right Thanks.

Yes the hole needs to remain open at all times. I used a 3-4 adapter and put the flex line inside with a clamp. On the outside of the house I used a black hard plastic 4inch vent and put another 3-4 on the end of the pipe to conect. Works good...I would contact Mike and make sure your stove is set correct though. All items were purchased at Lowe's.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.